Claro Walnut bowl/ mini HF

I've had this slab of Claro Walnut with a little burl figuring for a couple years. I finally got around to turning something from it. It was bone dry, with a few cracks that I filled with CA/coffee grounds. The bowl is 15" diameter by 3" deep, the mini HF is 3" x 3". Both finished with buffed Antique oil.

TS457_459.jpg

TS457a.jpg

TS457b.jpg

Boy that platter is spectacular Travis :thumb:

I just love that foot detain, I imagine it is hand carved or sanded?

The mini HF is great too, and it looks neat next to the large platter!

Great work, thanks for sharing! :clap:

That is some loverly piece of wood.. and good effect with the feet. I saw that practice once before by a turner but he left larger parts of the chuck socket, I like those little feet better. I tried making a piece where I just carved and sanded off all but 3 bumps but ended up getting in a hurry and couldn't seem to get an even spacing or height so I wiped them off for a try on another piece. forgotten until seeing yours and an stimulated to do another... Thanks for the post/ also is this a natural occurance (the coloring) of this type of walnut? Or is it a spalting effect?

Stu, I turned a ring on the bottom then carved all but the 3 feet away with a 1/2" sanding drum on a Dremel, then blended everything in by powersanding with a 2" disk.
Bill, the marbleing is a result of grafting English Walnut to Black Walnut.
This is from Woodfinder.com.

"the common name "claro walnut" is usually used to refer to the wood cut from the lower bole (stump) of orchard walnut trees, especially on the West coast of the US. These trees are a mixture of species, created by grafting an English walnut (Juglans regia) scion to a rootstock of one of our native walnut species -- either black walnut (Juglans nigra) or California walnut (Juglans hindsii). The wood near the graft tends to be variegated in color, with beautiful marble-like, dark brown and tan swirls in the figure. It is a favorite wood for making gunstocks."

Beautiful work as always Travis! Wonderful looking wood and detail work on the platter! Have to admit that the little hollow form is what made me say "Wow!" Love the form!

Travis, Great piece!, gonna give that foot treatment a try for sure! What do you use to sign the bottom? Looks like it works well. I'm trying to figure out which way to go on that; engraving, burning, branding iron, etc. Cheers, Barry

Great stuff Travis. I really like the pic that shows both pieces together. Gives a good sense of scale for both of them.