Which tools used most often?

Being new to WW and starting to buy my tools, I am wondering which tools you use more frequent than others. Just curious as to the most "popular" tools. This would help all "newbies" out there as well.

Please put your top 5+ of the following bench/stationary power tools in order which you use most often. Include any other tools you use as well.

Router
TS
CMS
BS
Scroll Saw
Drill Press
Nail guns
Jointer
Planer
Grinder
Sander

Hard to say but these are probably the ones I use the most. In no particular order. BUT what you will need/use/want will depend on what your going to make too.

Table Saw
Radial Arm Saw
Jointer
Power Planer
Hand plane, usually the block plane

If I am making furniture my TS is number one used tool followed close by my Radial Arm Saw. If I am working on a boat, my TS is way down the list and the Bandsaw or a jig saw would probably move to the top of the list. So it really depends on YOUR needs. Not mine.

Air Compressor
Shop Vac
Cordless Drill.....
Screwdriver
Shop Smith for this and That
Scroll Saw
Drill Press
Hammer
Saber Saw
Random orbit Sander
Hand Sandpaper
Router
Table Saw
Planer
Band Saw
Plane

Garry

Barry, do you have an idea of what you would like to make? That should be the starting point for your tool decisions. If I'm doing flat work, it's probably TS, CMS, Jointer, Planer, planes, ROS. If I'm turning something, it's the lathe and bandsaw. I'm trying to learn carving, so that's gouges. I've done some marquetry and that's scroll saw. As you can see, it all depends on what you are trying to do.

Barry,

Slow down! ;)

It takes years to build a shop, even a *very* modest one like mine. I've been at it 3 1/2 years now. Yesterday, I bought my first decent cordless drill (although it's my third cordless overall). Today, I was running new circuits to the shop. It's not a sprint, it's a marathon... ;)

There's huge debate over bandsaw vs TS as first major tool. Either one works, depending on what you plan to make. And that's the best advice I've ever heard: buy the tools you need to make the next thing you're going to make, keeping in mind your long term vision for the shop.

The reason I smiled when I saw your post: I used most of those tools just today. It's amazing how creative you can get when you have choices. And I'm not even making furniture... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

As Jeff says, this info is as specific as the individual giving it. If you do a lot of carcase work, you will use different tools than someone who makes a lot of chairs. For me, since squaring rough lumber is the start of almost everything I do and as you specify power tools:

Jointer
Planer
Table saw

and then probably . . .

Router table

Enjoy the ride ;-)

Dust collector (cyclone)
Table saw
Jointer/planer (two in one)
Domino (loose tenon cutter)
Drill press
Router table
Various handplanes (block plane, jack, jointer, smoother)
Chisels, various handsaws, files and rasps
Clamps
Slow speed grinder and water stones for sharpening
Circular saw and guide for breaking down plywood into manageable sizes.
ROS for when I have to sand ( I use planes instead whenever possible)

Dan

Good question, if for no other reason than to see the variety of ways that folks equip their shops for their own preferred type of project and methodology. Your mileage will vary, but my current list in order of most used is:

Lathe (includes turning and buffing, and the associated tools and attachments)
Dust Collector
Air Compressor
Shop Vac
Grinder with lathe tool sharpening jig
Pneumatic Sander
Right Angle Drill (as a sander)
Cordless drill (as a screw driver as much as anything)
Band saw
Drill Press
Incra TS III Fence and Rails (on TS/RT combo)
Table Saw
Router Table
Handheld Router (plunge and fixed)
Random Orbital Sander
Belt Sander
Jointer (seldom needed, since I usually buy S4S lumber)
Planer (used once in a blue moon)

Top 5 over the last month spent in my shop:

(1) table saw

(2) hand held electric sanders

(3) hand held drill both for drilling and screwing

(4) jig saw

(5) routers –both table mounted and hand held

But, as others have said, this varies a great deal by project

Most often used? Or most time spent using?

For me, most often used:
1: bandsaw
2: drill press
3: 1" belt sander/grinder with disk sander
4: lathe
5: cordless drill(s)

Most time spent using:
1: lathe
2: bandsaw
3: cordless drill(s)
4: sharpening grinder
5: all the rest. e.g. csms; table saw; duplicator; sanders, etc.

1- Bandsaw
2- Sliding table saw
3- Shaper and lathe in a tie
4- Jointer/planer
5- Shoulder plane

Not sure if this counts, but workbench would be number 1 (I consider that a very important tool), and is a dust collector a tool or and accessory for tools? It sure spins no matter what power tool is getting used.

When working on the lathe, my top five are probably:

1. Lathe
2. Drill press
3. Sharpener/grinder
4. Bandsaw
5. Sliding Compound Miter Saw

For flat work my top five are probably:

1. SCMS
2. Table Saw
3. Belt/disc sander (both bench and portable belt sander)
4. Cordless drill
5. Jig saw

For both, small but most important, a good shop pencil, speed square and tape measure.:thumb:

1. Lathe
2. Drill Press
3. Bench Grinder
4. Table Saw

If I have a BS it would be number 2 I think...please remember I don't do much flatwork.

Not that you asked, but in the non-powered arena:

Workbench
Pencil and paper
Good set of rulers
Chisels
Hand plane
Pullsaw

Power tools....

Table saw and planer. You can use a sled to face joint on a lunch box planer and a router with a flush cutting bit and bearing to edge joint most work.

Jointers are really nice though and I spend much time using it, probably more so than other tools.

various powered hand tools, drills, CS, routers sanders all would rank equally at number 4 on my list.

Non powered tools,

Chisels and planes are very satisfying to use to clean up cuts and fine tune things.

Band saw is important, but just not as important as the first three

Joe