Which tools used most often?

Essentials . . .

NUTH'Ngets done without a decent ruler and a really good square. Buy good ones first time. You'll never regret it. That said . . .

Bench sander ( this forgives MANY sins ! )
Table saw
Band saw
Decent rip saw
Better back saw

I agree with Bill. It takes time to set up a shop properly. Every one has good points and I guess I will throw mine in as well. Do lots of reserch into the tools that you are looking for and think ahead of what you are planning to do with your shop. That will dictate as to what tools you will be needing. Sure it is nice having all the tools right away but how many of us can afford to go out and get everything that we want, right away? We go through the process of getting what we need ( and can afford) and upgrading at a later date. Setting up a shop is not a cheap endevour and it does require lots of thought on your part as to your own personal needs. I can honestly say that with all the tools I have in my shop the TS is probubly the most used ( as it doubles as a work bench and storage shelf from time to time). No matter what tools you purchase, scrounge or build remember to add a dust collection system ( more than a shop vac) into that as well. It is ( in my opinion ) one of the most important tools in the shop. Hope that this helps.

All the best in making lots of dust.

Top 5 to get tools in the shop.

VISA
Checkbook
Cash
Barter
Beg

.....oh...top 5 tools:eek:

Table saw
Planer
Jointer
Shaper/router/tooling
Cordless drill

3/8" Traditional grind bowl gouge
1/2" Swept Back grind bowl gouge
Parting tool
3/8" Eli double Bevel grind bowl gouge
3/8" Hamlet Long Strong spindle gouge with the Mike Mahoney grind

Oh yeah, I use a lathe sometimes too :rolleyes: :D

Tablesaw, router, and drill. I built my first cabinet, with a cheap circular saw, with a straight edge, and router. Made a router table from a top from a old chest of drawers. Clamped a 2 by 2 on it for a fence and away I went. You do not need a shop full of tools to make stuff, it's just more fun.