A very serious wood gloat

Bill Grumbine

Greetings all

I consider myself blessed most of the time - well, all of the time really - with the wood that comes my way. I'm even a little uncomfortable with the word gloat, although I know it is the recognized word for talking about a new acquisition or whatever sort. But here is one I want to share.

I just got home from a trip to the nation's capitol, and demonstrating for two clubs down in the area. One of the "perks" of my occupation is that people like to do nice things for me, and while I was down there, I received an honor that has me just a little nervous for the carrying out of its intent. One of the people who works at the White House bought my DVD a while ago. When he learned that I was coming to visit his club, he wrote and offered me a tour of the White House. I gladly accepted, and was able to bring the family with me. It was a wonderful time, and we got to see some stuff that most people don't get to see close up. We weren't in any top secret locations or anything like that, but we got to go behind the barriers in the public places and see paintings, furniture, and other historical items up close, and with our own Secret Service agent to guide us around. It was truly an honor. But then...

As we came to the end of the tour, my benefactor, who had accompanied us on the tour, pointed out a stump on the White House lawn. It was a scarlet oak tree that had just come down a couple of weeks ago. Can you see where this is going? He got right on it and acquired a bunch of the wood. He went on to tell me that there were several logs waiting for me to take possession, if I was interested.

INTERESTED!!!???!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

So in addition to seeing a great piece of our nation's history up close, I now have in my possession four pieces of scarlet oak planted on the White House grounds by one of the presidents - I have to write to get that info again, since my head was reeling by that point - back in the 1800s. Here is where the nervous part comes in. I love to turn, and usually I do well at it, but every now and then, things go wrong on the lathe. There is going to be a lot of contemplation when any of this stuff goes on, and it is going to be treated very carefully indeed. I don't want to be throwing any of this into the furnace.

Pictures will come as I get pieces made.

Bill

Last edited:
Wow Bill. The words "honor" and "Privilege" just don't say enough. Can't wait to see the heirlooms that come from that tree. Congratulations!:thumb:

"Wow"! Doesn't suffice. What a super honor. I'm sure you will do proud with it. Maybe you can make something 'extra' special and get to present it to the President personally. That SS guard has his head screwed on correctly. About a year ago another historic tree was removed from White House grounds and promptly sent to the chipper. Pure ignorance there. Can't wait for the pictures. I'm not familiar with Scarlet Oak, what does the wood look like?

Bill, never having met you face to face (only from my tv monitor from a dvd or on your avatar :rofl:) I feel I know you and am confident this wood and hidden treasures are in the most capable of hands. Look forward to seeing what it is that is in that there wood!

Wow indeed!! I'm jealous of you...but then again, I don't think I could put a chunk on the lathe...just not good enough quite yet to hack away at such an important/historic piece of wood. Congrats:thumb:

That's a huge honour to receive that wood Bill. I can understand your nervousness about putting a gouge into it :).

I also have to second Frank and Rons sentiments about donating a turning to the White House and/or to the sitting President when you have something finished. I think that would be the ultimate presentation for a wood turner from the USA.

Congratulations !! and kudos the gentleman who recognised the historical value as well as the potential of the wood.

cheers eh?

Bill,

This may sound silly but, as someone that is dealing with this issue vis-a-vis some truly historical items in my own family, please know that I am very serious.

Before you do anything else, get out the digital camera and take pictures of the logs. Then sit down and write up a document of exactly where and how you came into possession of them and be as absolutely detailed as possible not only with dates but the names of the other gentlemen involved. If you can, include a "map" that shows where on the WHite House grounds the tree was. Then send it to each gentleman involved and get them to get notarized signatures on it atesting to it's accuracy. Then take it to a notary and get your signature on it notarized. If, for any reason, you don't feel that you can ask the others involved to have the document notarized, at least do it yourself. Then attach copies of those notarized documents to every piece you make along with when you made them. It sounds like you have multiple pieces of wood so identifying the pieces and associating them with specific items would also be good. And put extra lines on that document for future owners to document when and where the item changes ownership.

This all will probably make little difference to anyone for the next 10-20 years but 50 years from now it could make the difference between the object being worth $100 and $1,000's of dollars. :eek::thumb:

Bill,

This may sound silly but, as someone that is dealing with this issue vis-a-vis some truly historical items in my own family, please know that I am very serious.

Before you do anything else, get out the digital camera and take pictures of the logs. Then sit down and write up a document of exactly where and how you came into possession of them and be as absolutely detailed as possible not only with dates but the names of the other gentlemen involved. If you can, include a "map" that shows where on the WHite House grounds the tree was. Then send it to each gentleman involved and get them to get notarized signatures on it atesting to it's accuracy. Then take it to a notary and get your signature on it notarized. If, for any reason, you don't feel that you can ask the others involved to have the document notarized, at least do it yourself. Then attach copies of those notarized documents to every piece you make along with when you made them. It sounds like you have multiple pieces of wood so identifying the pieces and associating them with specific items would also be good. And put extra lines on that document for future owners to document when and where the item changes ownership.

This all will probably make little difference to anyone for the next 10-20 years but 50 years from now it could make the difference between the object being worth $100 and $1,000's of dollars. :eek::thumb:

Provenance. That is great advice.

Hmmmmm... I can see getting one letter regarding the circumstances on how you got the wood. However, I wonder if others that helped you get it would be happy about you asking them to help you increase the resale value of things you make with it. They might have been thinking you would make some very special things for just yourself, family and friends. If you make something to donate, you could ask them on a piece by piece basis, explaining where it was going and why the donation.

Just my thoughts on this, Bill.

Congrats on the gift wood.

Let's see here.

You come to Wisconsin and get cheese and a shop tool that has multiple uses. ;):D You go to D.C. and get some wood. :huh:;):D I dunno Bill? :dunno:

I'm sure you'll make some beautiful things from those pieces of wood. :thumb:

I concur with having something "official" in writing which places where these chunks o wood came from. And I also concur that something should come out of it to be sent and displayed in the White House. It should be a part of the White House, not of any one Presidents'.

We'll be anxiously awaiting pictures of the first of what will be many beautiful pieces from that wood.

Karl

Last edited: