A very serious wood gloat

I can't add more than what's already been said, but congrats on a very prestigious honor, and hats off to the gentleman who arranged it for you. :clap:

Provenance. That is great advice.

Yep, that magical item called Provenance. And yes, it has monetary value but, in this case, it is somewhat secondary to ensuring that the true background is documented.

And I agree that making something and donating it to the White House (not any given president) would be more than appropriate although I might clear that with the people that gave you the wood first. I would hate for something like that to show up at the White House with provenance and have someone give them a hard time about it for "not clearing it with them first". I know, it should not happen but I have learned to always expect the worst from those in government service and welcome being wrong. Hate to have one of those guys I was wrong about get in trouble because of one of the guys I was right about.

OK, I am rambling now. Anyway, provenance of anything with potential historical value should always be done IMNSHO. Yes, value is one of the things that eventually comes out of it but simply knowing the historical significance and documenting that it's the real thing is equally important. Ask any museum curator about the things they have in their warehouse that they are almost certain are real but ...

Lastly, I just realized I dived into provenance to begin without without adding my congrats Bill. It really is an honor and a privilege that is well deserved.

Thanks for the replies everyone, and some of the thoughts that have been expressed here have already run through my mind. I suppose there is a way to document the wood, but at this point it is purely the word of those involved. I do plan on taking pictures, but this stuff is not going to market anywhere.

There is enough for me to make a bowl for the man who gave it to me, and one is going to the curator at the WH, but the rest is going for gifts to family members, daughters and such who were there. This tree was saved from the chipper - some of it was anyway, and I intend to do my best with it, but selling it for profit off of the White House name isn't in it.

Bill

Wow is indeed an understatement. Congrats are in order of course. Your response on what you plan to do with the wood is exactly what I expected you to say. A chipper for such wood is an incredible waste of what those here consider to be a national treasure.

Congraulations Bill. I think what you have is truly a once in a lifetime gift, and fortunately, some of this wood is in the hands of a truly capable turner. I am sure whatever you create with this gift would be treasured by anyone that would receive a finished piece.

I know that many trees have been removed from the White House lawn over the years, for various reasons other than asthetics. I would be willing to bet that very few articles have been created from this wood in rememberance of the tree's existance as a "White House" tree. This in itself is a shame, IMO.

I know you will do justice in every sense to this gift you have received Bill. I don't know how the curator at the White House could say NO to having anything you turn on permanent display. I hope to visit the White House again someday...........and I look forward to seeing a genuine "Bill Grumbine" national treasure on display there!

Bill, if anyone is worthy of this honor, it is you! :thumb:

Congrats Bill. That is quite a honor. It isn't at all what I thought it would be like. When I was there a year ago this month to accept two awards it was really something. Of course Uncle George wasn't there so didn't get to talk to him.:rofl: Anyway Bill treasure that wood.

There is enough for me to make a bowl for the man who gave it to me, and one is going to the curator at the WH, but the rest is going for gifts to family members, daughters and such who were there. This tree was saved from the chipper - some of it was anyway, and I intend to do my best with it, but selling it for profit off of the White House name isn't in it.

Bill

That's just too cool Bill! I certainly admire your plans for the wood and your stance on profiting off it. Do well! :thumb:

That's a great story and an honor, indeed. I can't think of anyone I'd rather see turning a piece of Americana, either. I'm looking forward to pics of the wood, both before and after.

Congratulations.

Great deal Bill! I admire your stance on what to do with the wood. I would still recommend documenting the wood as well as possible. The value of the pieces will only increase with time. There may be a member of your family that would need the financial help that it could provide and it may not happen in your lifetime!

Congrats Bill. I look forward to what emerges from them.

I'd have to agree that setting the provenance in motion is a very good idea even though you aren't going to sell any of it. It is a small part of history that somebody, someday will probably appreciate. Maybe a great-grandchild in a show-and-tell in History class or Antiques Roadshow 2107. Who knows? As long as your benefactor won't get in trouble for it, I don't see how it can hurt. A notary would be pretty official but I think a signed letter from the benefactor explaining his reasons for giving it to you and a letter from you describing each item made would probably go most of the way. Pictures with you and your creations would be good as well.

One of the beauties of the Internet is that it creates a dated public record of thing like this. I wonder what methods will be used to determine provenance of historic things in 2107? Conceivably, this thread itself might provide some of the "paper trail" Bill's great-great-grandkids will possibly be interested in.

Yeah, as long as our servers don't go "hic" and we lose a bunch of data :rolleyes:

REAL paper trail is better, but I agree, that the net is providing a legacy of sorts, another reason our CoC :D :wave:

well, if the wayback machine is still around then, it will likely help for establishing authenticity.

BTW, Bill, I think you're taking exactly the right approach with the wood. One to the guy who helped you get it, one to the curator in case they want it, and mostly for friends or family. The last thing you want to do is sell anything you make from it. You're a class act! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks for the replies everyone, and some of the thoughts that have been expressed here have already run through my mind. I suppose there is a way to document the wood, but at this point it is purely the word of those involved. I do plan on taking pictures, but this stuff is not going to market anywhere.

Bill

Bill,

I NEVER meant to imply that you would be selling these items for a profit. HONEST!:eek:

But what I suggested was intended for the future. Whether or not the items ever get sold is immaterial. Down the line they will have value and may need to be insured. Correct, formalized provenance serves many purposes and should not be undervalued in and of itself. But failure to have it may cause unintended consequences years or decades later as I have been forced to find out.

Please take the time to do it for these items and do it right. Your descendents, if no one else, will thank you in the future.

Chip Charnley

Bill, do you have verification of what that piece is/was? You know, and I believe you, and that guy knows, but it would be nice to have a written document stating from somebody with authority that it did come from the Whitehouse lawn, Given that info to hand down with the special turning will make it a piece of history and a Family Heirloom. I have a piece of the tree that a Southern General grabbed as he was shot during a battle of Nancy during the Civil War, My grandfather told me it was from his family's history. I believe(d) him and think is neat, but no one else cares. There is no letter of authenticity... What I am getting at.... Could you get the that fellow who graced you with the wood, to get someone to verify in writing the source of the wood.