Silver Poplar HF

Jim Ketron

Mr. Cothren sent me this piece of wood almost 2 years ago, it looked pretty nasty had spikes and bumps all over it.:D It didn't take long after it got here to tear into it to see what was under those bumps. I got it rough turned soaked it in DNA and put it away to dry. I finally got back around to doing the final turning a few months later, sanded the outside and most of what I could get on the inside of the top. then it was all hand sanding from there.:( I really hate hand sanding especially in tight corners like this one had so needless to say it took over a year of sanding on it a few min at at time on occasion to finally get the finish where I wanted it.

It has some beautiful figure with lots of Birdseye on the top and curl that surrounds the piece. I used ebonized cherry for the pedestal and collar
Measures 14 5/8” tall X 9 1/4” wide, finish is Antique Oil

SPHF4.jpg

Nice to see you show up, Jim. :wave:

Is it just the pics, or did this piece warp into a square? It looks like it has four rounded corners. Whatever shape it is, it's a very nice piece. Worth all that hand sanding. :thumb:

Nice to see you show up, Jim. :wave:

Is it just the pics, or did this piece warp into a square? It looks like it has four rounded corners. Whatever shape it is, it's a very nice piece. Worth all that hand sanding. :thumb:

Nope, I guess your looking at the figure in the wood.
after you saying that and looking at it I can see why, it does look like it has corners.:huh:

Hi Jim, wellcome, and have fun here.
Very nice piece of silver poplar, rich colored.
Very well done, I like it. :thumb:

Hey Jim, that is something else, could we see it from another angle or two :D

Don't worry about Vaughn, he's a self admitted blonde you know ;) :rofl:

Cheers! :wave:

Wow Mark, better with each pic :thumb:

Kind of has a "Flaming" quality to it, VERY cool.

BTW, the neck, is it just sitting in place, or do you glue them in place?

Cheers! :wave:

That's a great piece, Jim. Beautiful figure, wild grain, spalting...a lot going on there.

It also looks like it's square in the first pics...with rounded corners. Great illusion.

Thanks for showing.