Spalted White Birch HF

This is the first completed hollow form from a white birch I cut down on my folks property this spring. The tree was standing with portions still alive but the bulk of it was just rotten. Most of the useable wood was already spalted and will make for some real nice looking bowls and hollow forms.

This hollow form is 7 ¾” in diameter by 4 ½” high. It starts off around ¼” thick and increases to about 3/8” to maybe a ½” at the bottom. No foot on this one – just a small flat spot to keep it from rolling over!

Spalted Birch HF.jpg Spalted Birch view 2.jpg Spalted Birch view 3.jpg Spalted Birch view 4.jpg

Finish is 2 coats of Watco Natural Danish Oil, 2 coats of Minwax Gloss poly and then buffed.

Appreciate any and all comments. I know there are a number of folks here with a lot of experience with hollow forms and I’m asking for your input – so please advise me as to what I can do to improve.

Thanks in advance!

That's your first HF? Sheesh! :thumb::thumb:

Not much to critique here, Steve. Your form is gorgeous! It shows off the wood very well. The curve on the bottom is spot-on. Removal of the foot was a good decision on this piece. Shoulder is well placed and makes a nice transition into the top. The rim is nicely defined. Finish looks great!

Great "classic form " in the Southwestern style!

Don't sweat the wall thickness. You'll get more consistent with practice and confidence. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate hollowing??

This is top-shelf work!! Keep 'em coming!

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind comments Neal!

Guess I wasn't very clear about the number of the hollow form. This is the first hollow form I made from the birch tree from my folk's place. It is actually hollow form #4 overall and only the second one with Randy's captured hollowing system which I absolutely love to use!

Y'all are gonna give me a complex. I'm used to seeing those stunning pieces posted by Travis Stinson, Bill Grumbine, Mark Cothren, etc. Now it looks like even more masters hang out here.

That's a great piece, Steve. Wonderful spalting, great shape and a killer finish.

Steve, Neal pretty much took the words out of my mouth. Looking at the pics, I don't see anything I'd change. Superb job.

(The captive rig sure is the way to fly, huh?)

Steve,

That's a great looking piece!! The spalting is very nice and I'm just a bit jealous :)!. I picked up a piece of spalted birch a while ago, but the deeper I turned the softer it got. I'm sure keeping my eyes open for another piece. I'd love to try to turn something as nice as yours.

cheers eh?

Y'all are gonna give me a complex. I'm used to seeing those stunning pieces posted by Travis Stinson, Bill Grumbine, Mark Cothren, etc. Now it looks like even more masters hang out here.

That's a great piece, Steve. Wonderful spalting, great shape and a killer finish.

Cody,
Don't sell yourself short, I've seen some of your work.
Yes these guys are good.