Minor Dungeon Reno..........

Stuart Ablett

.........VERY minor reno :rolleyes:

OK, I have run out of space in the Dungeon, this last batch of turning blanks are stuck on my worktable, and I need that space to get into the Display Humidor into gear!!.....:huh:

OK, I need to do some re-orginization..........

This spot is where I figure I can get the best results.......

recycled_storage_units.jpg
This is a bit of an old pic, but the main group of recycled old cabs are there, they are now gone! :wave:

racks1.jpg
I got a whole pile of this kind of shelving a while back on the cheap! Here in Japan, this stuff is expensive.

racks2.jpg
I'm going to just use some cardboard boxes for now, and at some point, these shelves will be moved over to the Dungeon Annex at some point.

The Dungeon is sure a mess right now :eek:

Cheers!

Stu, I am always amazed at the amount of work you get done in that dungeon. The sad thing is most everyone else has the option to add on to their existing shops and you don't, yet you continue to find ways to maximize your minimum area.

Stu, I use alot of that kind of shelving in my shop. It is strong and you can find stuff on it from any angle. Reorg is s good thing. If you find anything you do not recognize, send it over and we will help with description and use.

I admire your working in such a small space. But it doesn't matter how much space you have you will use it all. My shop is very large but I have space problems too. Just not to extent you do.

I am looking for a good way to store blanks too. I have a bunch stored under a conference table that was given to me. But I have decided to reclaim the space the conference table has and that means I need to do something with the blanks. No ideas at this point either. But if I could find some of that shelving like yours I know what I would do!

Steve, they say "Necessity is the Mother of Invention" and boy can it be a mother! :)

I HAVE TO find more ways, so, I do!

Joe, I've already found a few things that were missing, but thing I don't know what they are.......? Well I've found a few, I'll post some pics ;) :D

Cheers!

Stu,

How about hanging them individually in vacant spots? I do see that you already have some items stored "high" however if there is any additional space left that would be a great place since you will not be using the blanks for a while. I would take a piece of rope... wrap it around one direction of the blank... turn and rewrap around again forming a sling. Then with just enough of a length of rope make a loop where you can hang it from a hook strategically placed on the ceiling/joist. Just be sure you tie them securely though... you wouldn't want one falling on your head... :( This would leave the space on the shelves free for other organization and you would still be able to freely pick and choose from the blanks as you need them.

Denise

Stu,

How about hanging them individually in vacant spots? I do see that you already have some items stored "high" however if there is any additional space left that would be a great place since you will not be using the blanks for a while. I would take a piece of rope... wrap it around one direction of the blank... turn and rewrap around again forming a sling. Then with just enough of a length of rope make a loop where you can hang it from a hook strategically placed on the ceiling/joist. Just be sure you tie them securely though... you wouldn't want one falling on your head... :( This would leave the space on the shelves free for other organization and you would still be able to freely pick and choose from the blanks as you need them.

Denise

good idea denise......how `bout tater sacks? ya` know the nylon mesh bags...

Maybe some burlap feed bags, or fiberglass seed bags, they hold 100 lbs. easily....ex farmer here guys what'd you expect.:D

Stu,

I had another idea on how to suspend them from your ceiling. If you can put a "threaded hook" into the bowl blank (where you would end up removing wood anyway when you turn it) and then put an "eye" into the ceiling. Then just lift and hang... :) And you wouldn't have to worry about it failing and hitting you on the head!! :eek:

Denise

Great idea Denise! :thumb:

I do have a lot of stuff on my ceilings already, but after another run to the wood pile, I might just have to look into your idea!

One thing is the whole place is a concrete Bunker, and I hate drilling more and more holes all over the place, besides, my wife hates it, you can hear the sound of the hammer drill all the way up on the 7th floor! :eek:

I got through three drawers of stuff tonight, man am I a pack rat :eek: Some of the stuff I was keeping in there makes me wonder, I mean, even to me, it was JUNK when I started to go through it! :huh: Three large bags ready for the garbage guys on Monday :thumb:

Cheers!

PS Jesse, I like to see my floors, I have so little space, I need to walk somewhere!

Maybe some burlap feed bags, or fiberglass seed bags, they hold 100 lbs. easily....ex farmer here guys what'd you expect.:D
Stu, if you went the bag route, and assuming feed or seed or tater bags are not abundant, would rice bags work? I'll bet those can be found there. :p

I do understand about hooks not being handy to attach to the concrete ceiling...howsabout wood furring strips of some sort? Three or four holes and anchors would hold up several feet of wood, then you could use "quieter" wood-screw hooks instead.

The rice bags are paper, and they reuse them, so they are hard to get. I can get these tuff, bags they use for hauling construction garbage away, but for now, I think I'm good to go.

new_storage_racks_progress.jpg
I'm winning! :thumb:

Lots more yet to do, but the end is in site!

new_storage_racks_8_bags.jpg
I destroyed the two old units, the dresser and the kitchen type unit, and a bunch of other stuff too, now I have 8 bags of garbage to throw out........... them garbage guys are going to hate me! :rolleyes:

I've not yet done the second load of wood either!

Cheers!

Stu,

Now I see why you built those fancy shmancy wine cabinets...you just wanted the old metal ones for your shop! :eek: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Lookin' good!

P.S. What dungeon stuff are you gonna store in that old humidor...when ya get the new one built? :rofl:

Greg

Last edited: