Dresser

Doug Sinjem

Built a dresser to go along with the crib. I started out buying some "Brazilian Walnut" on ebay. It is some pretty nice stuff. Turns out the actual name is Imbuya so the only place I could find the matching hardwood was on line from a place in Arizona.

This was my first attempt at veneering...now I'm hooked. A huge and special thanks to veneering guru Tod Evans for all his help. I really had alot of fun doing this. Veneering is very challanging but very rewarding. I din't get a whole lot of pics during construction but will take some good close ups when it's finished.

Dresser 001.jpg

Dresser 002.jpg

Doug

Another nice piece Doug.
I made a wall hanging once out of Imbuya. Very pretty wood but as I recall it had a strong cinnamon like smell when sanded and wreaked havoc on my allergies.

Looks real nice, Doug. :thumb: I worked with Imbuia many years ago (I liked the cinnamon smell). I was using it as an accent wood in a laminated glue-up for a lap slide guitar, so I didn't show off the grain nearly as nicely as you did with the veneers.

Another nice piece Doug.
I made a wall hanging once out of Imbuya. Very pretty wood but as I recall it had a strong cinnamon like smell when sanded and wreaked havoc on my allergies.

I wonder if that's why my face and scalp were itching for a couple of days. Imbuya hardwood is very expensive and a little on the soft side but once you see the veneer(when finished) it has a lot of depth and character.

Doug

Looks real nice, Doug. :thumb: I worked with Imbuia many years ago (I liked the cinnamon smell). I was using it as an accent wood in a laminated glue-up for a lap slide guitar, so I didn't show off the grain nearly as nicely as you did with the veneers.

Thanks Vaughn, the veneer has a great pattern and very figured. just trying to decided which way to go on the finish. The crib finish just about did me in because of all the detail.

Doug

Al I'm having a friend that does finishing for a living put on a lacquer finish on the dresser. It should really bring out the pattern and figure in the veneer.

Doug

I can't add anything else to what has been said apart that I'm looking forward to see it finished:thumb: Please do not forget to post the final pictures:thumb: Keep up with the good job:thumb: