Turning DVDs.............which ones, and why?

Stuart Ablett

OK, for guys like me, who seldom get a chance to actually see anyone turn in person (except me, of course :D) I like to get some DVDs and then wear them out watching them, in fact, I'm thinking of setting up an old TV behind the lathe, hooked up to a cheap DVD player so I can watch the DVD, then pause it and turn....... but I digress.

DVDs are important to me, which ones do you like and why?

My list: (in no particular order)

Turned Bowls Made Easy - Bill Grumbine

Bill's DVD is straight forward, easy to understand and fun to watch.
I feel like I've met Bill in person, he comes through the video very personal and is obviously a GREAT teacher and a guy that would inspire confidence in his students. I'd love to make the time to go take a lesson from Bill, I'm sure I would learn a ton, and have a great time. If you need to get the basics for learning how to turn a bowl, this is one DVD you SHOULD buy.

Turn Around three DVD set - Jimmy Clewes

I'm amazed at the versatility that Jimmy shows on these three DVDs, they too are fun and easy to watch. I find Jimmy's enthusiasm for the craft inspiring, and the fact that he has fun while turning just great. He talks at length about understanding how the tools cut, and this has been really helpful for me. I also like the way that as he turns a piece, the "plan" often seems to change or at the very least, evolve, something that I think is VERY important to learn, I think you NEED to understand that sometimes the wood has different ideas than you, and you need to work with that.

Outtakes <- Link to the outtakes from Jimmy's DVD set, they are funny, and the -BEEP- button is used a LOT :rolleyes:

Skew Chisel: The Darkside & The Sweet Side - Alan Lacer

I've not seen the first one, Son of Skew, but this second one gave me the gumption to take on the "Evil Skew" and overcome my fear of it. Alan again, imparts an easy teaching style that makes it all seem so easy.....:)

Series One and Two - Eli Avisera

OK, these are not yet available for sale, but soon will be, and having the pleasure of watching Eli on two occasions, I can only believe that these DVDs will be outstanding for sure.

Link to the site where the info on the release etc is located.

Well, that is my short list, I hope I can add to it, with some of your recommendations.

Cheers!

DVD's

Hey Stu,

I would add Bill Grumbine's second video "Beyond the Basic Bowl", ANY of Jimmy Clewes' videos, and I also like the Chriss Stott videos. Stott's are a little on the older side but should still be available. I have a TV and DVD/VCR in my shop but have yet to use it. I was kind of hoping to do what you mentioned-watch-try it-watch-try it. Some day.

Hey Stu,

I would add Bill Grumbine's second video "Beyond the Basic Bowl", ANY of Jimmy Clewes' videos, and I also like the Chriss Stott videos. Stott's are a little on the older side but should still be available. I have a TV and DVD/VCR in my shop but have yet to use it. I was kind of hoping to do what you mentioned-watch-try it-watch-try it. Some day.

Ditto Bill's DVD's He has his second one out now too. I have his first DVD & it starts with cutting the wood & takes you through making a bowl. He is a real good teacher. I'll be purchasing his second DVD.

I bought Bill Grumbine's DVD set (a pair), and as I have posted before, I find them informative and educational without being stuffy. Bill is "to the point" and his friendly, "speaking to the camera" approach makes it seem like he is speaking to me, an individual in the audience, and not to a crowd.

I don't own anyone else's videos,, but I have seen a few on the web, without seeing one as good as Bill's.

One person whose videos should be pretty good, would be Tim Yoder. I watched his TV show and found his show very informative and his approach to be very similar to Bill's. However, I tracked down his show on the web, and I thought that the price for his DVD's was a bit steep. I know ... they cost money to make, but we each have a $ limit , and mine is quite a bit lower than the price I saw on the website.

cheers eh?

There are so many DVDs out there that I couldn't possibly justify buying all the turning DVDs I'd like to have, so for many of them I've resorted to renting them from SmartFlix.:thumb:
Also, it depends on what you're interested in turning; bowls? pens? Hollow Forms? There seem to be DVDs devoted to every facet of turning.

Some of those I've most enjoyed are:

Woodturning with Steven D. Russell (pens)
Both of Bill Grumbine's DVDs
2 DVDs by Richard Raffan: Turning Boxes & Turning Wood
The 2 DVDs on Pen Turning by Rex Burningham & Kip Christensen
And both of Alan Lacer's Skew Chisel DVDs

The biggest problem of renting them is that I can only watch them so often and then I end up wanting to buy most of them afterwards if they are any good.:(

Stu if you like doing finials I would add Cindy Drozda's DVD Elegant Finials. She also has another one out that I am looking at getting. The one above is excellent. She does the whole finial with a small spindle gouge sharpened a different way but dang it works.

IF you can find a set of "Woodworking at Home" DVD magazine, Dick Sing has a turning "article" in nearly every issue. Every one of them are different....

This is my collection along with the Dick Sing segments on the World of Woodworking DVDS
Elegant Finials --------------------------- Cindy Drozada
Turning Wood ---------------------------- Richard Raffan
Bowl Turning ----------------------------- Dell Stubbs
Turning Boxes ---------------------------- Richard Raffin
Turning Projects -------------------------- Richard Raffin
Hollow Forms ----------------------------- Lyle Jamison
Turn It Up Vol. I II III --------------------- Jimmy Clewes
Making The Native American Style Flute ---- Bill Hughes
Turned Bowls Made Easy ------------------ Bill Grumbine
Beyond the Basic Bowl --------------------- Bill Grumbine
Finishing Secrets Vol. I II III --------------- Russ Fairfield
Purchased from the Alabama Woodturners Site:
Cloverleaf Box ----------------------------- Pat Johnson
Hollow Turning and Christmas Ornaments ---- Larry Hasiak
Christmas Ornaments ----------------------- Will Pate
Fancy Turnings ----------------------------- Larry Thomas
Tops --------------------------------------- Jim Caldwell
Sharpening Your Tools Properly -------------- Pat Johnson
Beautiful Small Bowls ------------------------ Tom Fortenbery

My favorites are Bills along with Cindy Drozda. They are the easiest to understand and Bill is very funny!

I have no videos and have only seen a couple. I have seen Del Stubbs and David Ellsworth's videos as some kind soul loaned them to me.

I have put on my Christmas wish list both sets of Jimmy Clewes videos and Cindy Drozda's as well. I hope I have been a very good boy....:huh:;)

One more for you Stu, and I am surprised to not see her listed, is Bonnie Klien. She does smaller items, but does them well. I believe she has 5 or 6 Dvds out and I really have enjoyed the 4 I have.

My woodturning club has an extensive collection of VHS tapes (slowly being modernized to DVDs). I have gotten discouraged with the bowl turning demo tapes. All these guys use green wood an work so fast it is hard to relate to real world turning. They remove more wood in two minutes than I can in an hour or two. Most of us don't have sources for nice green wood. My stash is years old. I suppose that rewatching several times would be beneficial but I'm not one to spend a lot of time on my butt watching the screen. Have to qualify, I haven't seen one of Bill G's.

My woodturning club has an extensive collection of VHS tapes (slowly being modernized to DVDs). I have gotten discouraged with the bowl turning demo tapes. All these guys use green wood an work so fast it is hard to relate to real world turning. They remove more wood in two minutes than I can in an hour or two. Most of us don't have sources for nice green wood. My stash is years old. I suppose that rewatching several times would be beneficial but I'm not one to spend a lot of time on my butt watching the screen. Have to qualify, I haven't seen one of Bill G's.

Then you have just saved the best for last! :D :thumb:

I just watched Jimmy Clewes 2nd DVD again, where he is doing a NE bowl from an "Ambrosia" burl. He said it is BONE dry and HARD, but he has no trouble getting it done. He also points out that he sharpens his tools a LOT when working with something like that.

The single biggest thing I did to improve my turning was to get set up right with my sharpening. I have the jigs and such now that I can stop turning, sharpen and be back to make in interesting firewood in a minute or less. This has paid HUGE dividends to my work.

Cheers! :wave:

My meager list (so far):

Hollow Forms ------------------------------------ Lyle Jamison
Turned Bowls Made Easy ------------------------- Bill Grumbine
Skew Chisel: The Darkside and the Sweet Side ---- Alan Lacer (still haven't watched it)
Son of Skew ------------------------------------ Alan Lacer (watched most of it)

I watch virtually no TV, and I've gotten so out of the habit of watching that I don't think to sit down and watch one of my turning DVDs. (I really need to watch the two Lacer vids.) Cindy Drozda's "Elegant Finials" is on my short list for new ones.