Downside to a PC690 in a router table?

Art Mulder

Hey folks...

I'm planning a trip south in just over a week for a two week family trip.
And as always, I have a quick look at Amazon and Woodcraft to see if there is anything that I'd like to order and pickup while in the States.

Amazon currently has the PC690 router for all of $96. That's a tough deal to beat.

I've been wanting to pick up a simple 1/2" collet router for my router table and it looks like this might be the one.

I know I've read of other people who use this router in a table. However, the forums are also full of folks with cadillac router tables and fancy router lifts and all of that.

So really, what are the downsides of using a PC690 in a table? Bit changes take a bit longer, and you don't get super-fine height adjustment ability, I know that. What else?

thanks.
...art

I used my PC 690 in a table for a while before I got the M12v, and it did just fine for me. I was using it for simple roundovers and rabbet cuts -- not making raised panel entry doors -- and it never missed a beat. For the sale price, it's worth it just to have a second handheld router. Using it in a table would be a bonus.

Geez Vaughn, what is it, 5am on the left-coast? What are you doing up!! :eek:

...art

ps: thanks for the comments, that's about what I thought. For a low-use hobbiest I think it's a good deal. But I wanted to be sure I wasn't overlooking something.

Art, I use my PC 690 in a table and it has never failed me. I use it for round overs and basic (simple) shaping, I do a lot of pattern cutting with a template. Eventually I'll get a second router dedicated to the table (I only have one router) and it will most likely be a 2.5+ HP.

The single speed is a negative but hardly a show-stopper. There are a lot of combination and even toss-one-in-free deals going on with the 690 as it is rumored to be retiring (which would also not be a show-stopper).

As far as power, they are a stout, small, hand-held router and in that arena they have been almost a standard for decades. I would see no problem using it in a router table. He probably won't care for 3 1/2" cutters but how often would you do raised panels?

I've seen the large Freud which is much better suited to the table for $120 or so but don't know if this is online only. http://www.ptreeusa.com/edirect_101207.htm

Last edited:
Allen:

Hooo ha! Many thanks for this tip. First one I have taken advantage of and what a deal. Just great. Mucho thanks.
Ken

Art,

Look at this. You can also get a PC 343 ROS free with the order if you hurry. Look under Special Offers just down the page a bit.

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-...f=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1195309046&sr=8-1

Yeah I stumbled upon that on another forum... Which is why I'm itching to get the "A-Ok" email from my buddy down in NC so that I can pull the trigger on this. Very good deal!

Art, I use my PC 690 in a table and it has never failed me. I use it for round overs and basic (simple) shaping, I do a lot of pattern cutting with a template. Eventually I'll get a second router dedicated to the table (I only have one router) and it will most likely be a 2.5+ HP.

Thanks Tony. As a low-use hobbiest, this is pretty much what I was thinking as well.

...art

Score! :thumb: :D :headbang:

Amazon put it back up again (8:45pm eastern right now) and I grabbed one.

gloat gloat gloat.

But I swear, I just DON'T understand that company. How do they make money with money-losing deals like that? And why on earth do they do these weird on-again off-again sale events? :dunno:

I'm a bit late but I'll pipe in anyway. The PC690 would not be my first choice for a router table. In my opinion, it's somewhat underpowered which will limit what you can do. It's a fixed speed router which also limits what you can do. And finally, the depth adjustment mechanism is difficult to deal with under a table. It's so much easier to adjust a router (like the PC890) that has a depth adjustment knob. With the 690 you have to turn the motor (or is it the ring on the 690?). For me, trying to turn the motor with one hand while I check height with the other hand, then trying to keep the motor from moving while I lock it down is not easy to do.

Mike

Last edited:
For me, trying to turn the motor with one hand while I check height with the other hand, then trying to keep the motor from moving while I lock it down is not easy to do.

Ditto. I don't have more than a few hours worth of "router time" under my belt, and I'm already frustrated with how hard it is to do precision work with my PC690 mounted in a table. Part of the problem is the table I'm using ... the MDF(?) split fence and the hardboard table insert drive me nuts:

A520_0275_RocklerPortableRouterTable.jpg

All of which is why:
* I bought the Incra fence from Keith
* I have a Freud FT2200E router on the way for mounting in a table
* I'm looking for a good router table & insert plate arrangement for the Freud​

Still, if I didn't already have a 690 and a random orbit sander ... I would have jumped on that great deal myself!

Last edited: