Turning Tool Rack

Tony Falotico

Ran out of room in the tool drawer for the turning tools, needed a better way to organize and store the lathe tools. Below is what I came up with.
It's 30" long, the top row is 2" PVC 12" long. The lower rack is 1-1/2" pipe cut into 8" pieces.

I'll accept the accolades for implementation, but the credit for the idea goes to our own Bernie......

Bernie, Thanks for posting pics of your rack, I hope you don't mind I 'borrowed' your idea. Works great!!

Attachments

• PB180068 (755 x 565).jpg
    PB180068 (755 x 565).jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Nicely done, Tony. From the looks of things, you can only buy four more turning tools, then you're done. No more space for any more. :p (Something tells me you'd find a way to get around that problem.) ;)

I like it, Tony. I hadn't thought about using PVC, but it looks like it works out quite well. That gives me some ideas for one I'm working on for inside a cabinet I was given last week.;)

What size PVC did you use?

It's 30" long, the top row is 12" long 2" PVC. The lower rack is 1-1/2" pipe cut into 8" pieces. 2" schedule 40 PVC fits into a 2 3/8" hole saw cut.

If you cut the bottom inch off the tubes they'll be self-cleaning.

I thought about the problem of them getting 'stuff' in them, but couldn't figure the best way. If I had 'notched' the bottom, similar to the top I could just clean 'em out with the shop vac. The tubes are screwed in and removable, So I just might go ahead and do that.

Looks good... My only concern is having the business ends up. I can see reaching for one tool in haste and getting cut in the process. If you go with Joe's idea and take away an inch on the bottom of the tube you would still have an easy visual as to what's what, and/or you could mark the tubes to say what it holds. I also think I might like to angle the tubes out ever so slightly to make going in and out a bit easier. I guess that's about .04 cents worth.

Nice tool rack .....BUT.... Did you make allowance for the flying wood chips. Although you are certainly tidier than I, the chips do fly and everything within range will be showered with affection and clutter.

I made a tool holder one time using spacers between the tools (similar to your configuation but square "tubes" or slots, enclosed on 4 sides and bottom. Was really neat and handy, but as time passed the holes began to fill with Debri and the only way to clean was to empty and try to suck out with vac or turn upside down...

Just a BTDT bit of experience and the problems I encountered. Might suggest cutting an opening in the bottom to let the spew spill out.

Thanks for the post. :thumb: