Anyone crop a pic?

Aaron Beaver

Anyone crop this picture just to show the outline of the deer so I can insert it in another photo. If its a lot of work or anything, don't worry about it, just if it takes a couple of seconds.

Thanks

Attachments

• roe-deer-5220.jpg
    roe-deer-5220.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 52
I appreciate the try,but that left a white background behind the deer. I was hoping that it would only leave the deer (no background) so I could paste it another picture. Maybe what I am wanting can't be done.

Thanks for trying, you had the right idea.

It can be done in photoshop as frank said, you need to create a cliping mask for it, I will try at a later time if no one else beats me to it as I am on break at work at the moment and not enough time right now, maybe at home tonight.

Tom

So, Just used PaintShopPro 9 set the palette transparency to the backgound color. If all went well, you should be able to use this.

deer.gif

I've used Paint Shop Pro for years now and I must say that it is just great. I don't have quick access to a big picture of this, but this picture here is made up of 4 separate pictures pasted into one.

The train was taken in a railroad yard in MN
The sky was stolen from another picture because it looked brighter blue
The lighthouse and tree are from Maine (but reversed via mirror image)
The Ocean scene came from another picture since it had bigger waves

RG-331_Seaside3-216x141.jpg

Aaron, here is one for you to try, if it does not work will try something different.
also if you have a higher res pic to email, it won't be so pixelated

Last edited:
Briefly, you want to "Extract" the object from the background (not crop it).

As said, Photoshop makes this easy as does Paint Shop Pro. Other commercial editors probably do as well. I just tried the free Paint.NET and because it lacks some of the features of the others, it is more difficult.

You use a "Lasso tool" and trace it around the outline. PSP as well as PhotoShop have modifiers -- smart edge, edge seeker, etc. These automatically detect large changes in pixel color thus more easily defining the outline of the object.

After it is selected, there will be a path of "marching ants" around the object. There are amazing subtleties about the bleeding of the background into the object being selected. This would happen for example if extracting a picture of a woman with frizzy hair (can also happen with animals with flying hair -- called "flyaway" hair). The background color pixels "bleed through" and the resulting extraction (say a blond woman) might have blue tinge in the hair due to the sky background---all a simplification).

Then, you take the extraction and save it to the proper format so the background of the new image is transparent (PNG works).

Maybe more detail than you wanted. It is possible. It takes practice. The more complex the object being extracted, the more skill and time it takes.

FWIW.
Ken

So Here are two version of the image.

In the first, I used the 'magic wand' tool int Paint Shop Pro to get rid of the background. As I deleted the background, it was replaced with the current background color, a nice shade of green, sort of. So then I saved it like that.

deer1.gif

This second one, I set the palette transparency to the currrent background color and saved it as a GIF file. If you save this file, you can cut and paste it over whatever other image you want, and the background will be transparent.

deer2.gif

And here I've done a cut and paste with the picture in Paintshop pro over some wild horses that were roaming in my front yard...

deer3.gif

So, there I am using a lasso and a magic wand, and thinking to myself "Why?" Aaron would be better served if we told him where to download gimp, or psp, or PS. Even with the transparent background, what's he going to use to blend the pictures? And if he has something to blend the pictures, he doesn't need us to pull the deer from the background... ;)

So, here you go, Aaron! Free is good!

http://www.gimp.org/

Thanks,

Bill