More Maple Pics

Jeff Bower

It's been about a month since I've posted any pics and I've been busy as of late. My BIL owns a high end home furnishing/design store and has agreed to take a few of my turnings on consignment. He says he can sell them as art? :dunno: Again his words not mine. Here are a few more maple bowls. The square one is a little on the thick side and the larger NE still has some tools marks that I will try and sand out, but I'm happy with them. Comments/critques are strongly encouraged.

All are finished with Watco Danish Oil.

1. Square bowl/plate 16" from corner to corner and 4 inches tall.
2. NE 12.5" W X 5" T
3. NE 11" W X 4" T

Attachments

• bowl 22a.jpg
    bowl 22a.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 29
  • bowl 22B.jpg
    bowl 22B.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 27
  • bowl 20.JPG
    bowl 20.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 28
  • bowl 23.JPG
    bowl 23.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 33
Thanks Sam. Those corners whacked my knuckle more than once and my lathe doensn't go real slow so getting something thin that far out is almost dangerous.

Hi Jeff, very nice stuff, well not so a bad idea of your brother in low.
A chance for you to make some profit. :D

Nice work. I'd say the last pic is my favorite out of this bunch, Jeff.

Critique-wise, on the bowls I'd suggest trying to get a more even curve from the rim to the foot. Here's an exaggerated example:

Bowl Curves Cropped.jpg

A lot of turners try to save as much of the wood as possible, but often you can improve the form by taking a bit more wood away.

Vaughn, I think you've pointed that out before...now if I could only remember it when I'm on the lathe...I just get to excited when the curls start to fly! Maybe I'll print off the diagram you posted and hang it on the wall behind my lathe.