Wood storage question

Billy Burt

Okay, folks, I've examined Jeff's shop reorg pic a few times over the last few days and it got me to thinking. I need to do the same, but my biggest problem is wood storage. I have no free space on the wall to mount a rack so my longer stock is stickered and stacked on the floor. But this is taking up quite a bit of very valuable real estate. So I've been thinking of moving the stack to the back porch and covering it w/a tarp (yes, I'll make sure it doesn't sit in water). It's all air dried stock so I'm not overly concerned about the humidity. As long as I bring what I want to work with into the shop a few weeks in advance to let it aclimatize, that should do, right?

Yeah should be fine, just pulled up a 10X16 building for wood storage. Hope it is large enough for the rough cut I bought a couple of months ago. Only 6' at the short end, yeah, small I know. But hey, got four more of those out back can pull up another if I need to.

I worried about covering it too tight... we have mold here. So my outside storage is under cover, but not closely covered. Now the biggest problem is rodent poo and dead bird feathers. I have moved the better wood to the attic. It is really hard to plane out rodent poo

Your idea should work fine. But, I would have one concern. Wasps. Wasps and other unfriendly buggies like to make covered places like that their home and don't take kindly to disruptions.

Thanks all. I was hoping that some of what I've read about this lately was true. In fact, until I bought it, my walnut and cherry had been stickered and stacked aoutside for several years (so why didn't I just think about that before posting this?:eek:). Frank, the buggie thing isn't so much of a worry for me. I'm used to checking for such things in the firewood pile.;)

My wood Storage

:doh:Billy... I used to pile my wood standing on end in front of the wifes car...not the best of places. Added on a third garage and then got rid of one of my trucks. A bit backwards I know,but I then solved my wood supply problem ...
at least fo a short time. Then built a rack with storage for sheet stock on the top and pine and other soft woods on second shelf,then hardwood on third shelf and 2" stock on the bottom shelf. Still store some sheet stock behind the large rack but I have overhead doors on both ends of this garage. A major problem comes to get more lumber from lumber yard now that I got rid of the truck. So in comes a utility trailer that fits into the garage along with the wood storage rack.

Attachments

• Wood Supply.jpg
    Wood Supply.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 30
How to & how not to store lumber has been cussed and dicussed on this forum before and no specific conclusion was agreed upon by all, as we do what we can with what we have... Blah Blah Blah...

BUT Just last night as I was putting away the leafs of our dining room table (Which was just being cleaned off following a most wonderful Thanksgiving meal seating 12 of our family) And while sliding them into their wood crate, I happened to think of wood storage and how some say not to store verticle...

This "crate" that the leaves are stored in (well over a hundred years of leaf storage) arranges the leaves in a verticle fashion standing them on end. Each leaf has a slot that you slide them into and keeps them 1" apart allowing good air circulation. So, I thought great thoughts and drew a conclusion that perhaps these old craftsmen who made the table considered the most effecient means of storage and the safest way to ensure that the broad Oak boards would remain straight and true would be to stand them on their ends and allow good air circulation.

Consider my conclusions when you design your material storage area.