Upside Down Alder Hollow Form

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
More from the plain alder stash. I decided to try a bit more bottom-heavy form again. If you turn it upside down, the form is more conventional. Some will like it...some won't. I'm still undecided on the form, but the foot does seem to float it off the table in a neat way. It's about 8 1/2" wide by 4 1/2" tall, and it's fairly plain, but I like the wood, and the Tung Oil Blend/lacquer finish came out pretty good IMO. I did a little playing around on the rim with the woodburner. Still lots of experimenting to do with it.

Lots o' pics, just because I have 'em.

HF041 - 02 800.jpg HF041 - 03 800.jpg HF041 - 04 800.jpg HF041 - 05 800.jpg HF041 - 06 800.jpg HF041 - 07 800.jpg HF041 - 08 800.jpg

Let me know what you think...good, bad, or indifferent.

Vaughn, I like it. To me the form is eye catching especially with the raised lip. The edge burning works for me as well. I would like to know the size of the opening and the wall thickness. Good Job!:)

Chris, the opening is 1 1/2", and the walls are about 3/16" thick, and a bit thicker towards the bottom, ending at probably about 3/8". I typically don't really measure the thickness, aside from using the laser as a gauge as I'm going. And even then, I usually don't get too brave about making the bottom thin. I'd rather have a nice form with a slightly-weighted bottom than a nicely-formed donut with a ventilated bottom. :D

BTW, welcome aboard. :wave:

Vaughn, I like the form and the burned rim, it seems to me you have an affair with this type of holllow forms, saw so many of those hollow forms on your website. Never thought about a collar??
BTW. beautiful wood for this type of hollow form. Great job !!

Ad :thumb:

Real nice, Vaughn. Refreshing to see some new shapes in hollow forms, and I love the rim treatment.

-Joe

Vaughn - this works for me! Nice flowing curve, beautiful finish and even the burned rim fits in with the color scheme!

Was the lacquer a spray-on or wipe-on? Have thought about using lacquer for a while now but there's no way I could spray while in the shop (basement) during this time of year.

Chris - glad to see you found your way over to this site! When you get the time - make sure you get over to the Welcome forum and let everyone know you are here!

I think you nailed it with the elevated foot. It really does float and keeps the bottom heavy form form looking so heavy. The burning at the opening goes great with it too.

Thanks for the nice words, guys. :)
...Was the lacquer a spray-on or wipe-on? Have thought about using lacquer for a while now but there's no way I could spray while in the shop (basement) during this time of year...
I'm using Deft spray. I can open up my garage and ventilate it pretty well when I'm using it. This piece has about 6 or 7 light coats, then I wet sanded with 600 grit and buffed on the 3-wheel system.