laser guide ?

Frank Fusco

Randy put a video post in the commercial section. He uses the Mini Monster hollowing tool with a laser guide. I can see that the laser shows where one is cutting but don't understand how it indicates depth of cut or wall thickness. I've been told that is the main function of the laser guide. :huh:

Hi Frank
I haven't used one of these but if I understand correctly lining up the laser with the point of the cutter let's you see where the cutter is inside the Hollow Form relative to the side of the HF. Therefore if the laser light is one-eighth of an inch from the outside of the HF the cutter should also be the same distance from the edge on the inside. Of course you'd line up the laser with the cutter tool before putting the tool inside the HF.
Hope my weak description makes sense. I'm hoping someone who uses one will come in here now and correct me if I'm wrong or explain it a bit better.:thumb:

Last edited:
Frank,
The way it works is, if you put the laser spot at the edge or the end of the cutter, theoretically, if the spot comes off the edge of the hollow form, you have cut through the side or the end of the piece.

Yep, that is how it works, I put mine a set distance from the cutter tip, say 1/8", then when I'm hollowing, if the laser dot is off the HF, then I'm down below 1/8" and soon bad words will be said :doh:

I usually look for the laser dot to go from a dot, to a long dot, this means I'm right up against the distance I set my laser pointer from the tip of the cutter.

If you watch > THIS < video of mine, you can see how it works..... :wave:

When I first start out, I put the laser on the edge of the cutter, as I continue and get into the scrapers, then I leave the laser away from the scraper the amount of distance I want the thickness to be. I've done it both ways and if your not paying attention, you can still make a funnel.