Busy weekend at chez Bulken

Ned Bulken

Well, with the hollydaze starting (I count Turkey day (US) as the beginning of the hollydaze), we had a nice thanksgiving dinner, and everything went well until our youngest decided that he would tackle the middle son... who is roughly 3x the mass and almost 1.5x his height, with predictable results. There was a bit of 'ow ow ow ow' from the youngest, and then we put some ice on the arm and thought little more about it. They do this 'all the time' we thought...

fast forward to Friday evening... youngest is now favoring his arm, and we see a large bump on it... which is tender to the touch...

mutter mutter mutter... trip to urgent care and voila, one arm in a temporary cast and sling... He has a greenstick fracture of the Ulna. *sigh* boys will be boys. Thankfully my new insurance plan is very good. :doh:

Sorry to hear about that Ned. Sounds like my Father's Day - I broke a knuckle teaching the Little Man to ride his bike (not nearly as serious as an arm though). I hope he heals quickly and without any complications. What color cast did he get?

Wes

Broken bones is part of growing up, or was for me anyways :D

Take WAY TOO LONG to recount the bones I've busted, but I'll put it this way, my mom and the orthopedics guy were on a first name basis :rolleyes:

I'm sure your youngest will be fine Ned, he is just earning his "Boy" stripes :D :wave:

Glad to hear it wasn't any worse than it was, Ned. Now he'll have a story to tell for the rest of his life about the time he broke his arm tackling his brother. And as the years go by, the story is likely to get better and better. :p

Don't know if I posted it here or not... but I fractured my wrist this past spring. My 'very good insurance' boasts a $50 ER copay, and $500 out of pocket max. Ended up writing close to $900 worth of checks anyway. :mad:

Oh, boy, Ned, sorry to hear about your little man's broken arm. Take it from me, do NOT let him close to a hackey sack until he's out of the cast. When my son was 15, he got a Colles fracture of his right arm (both forearm bones, just above the wrist), with a full armpit-to-fingers cast. Ten days later, he was playing hackey sack and kicked one leg out from under himself and popped his Achilles tendon. Have you ever seen a platform crutch?

All I can say is thank goodness for military medical care---Naval Hospital 15 miles away was a lifesaver...and his dad was in the Med on a cruise!!!!

Nancy (26 days)

Raising kids is a mix of happy and terrifying moments. Glad the injury was not worse. A break is bad news but the upside is that children heal faster and better than the 'older' population.
Glad the insurance kicks in to pay.
Our local hospital ER is about $700.00 just to walk in the door and it climbs rapidly after that.