Tiger Maple Hutch

Chris Barton

I started this project a year ago and just finished it a couple of weeks ago. The hutch is entirely from tiger maple for exterior wood, pine for the back of the upper section and poplar for the drawer interiors. These pictures are from a week ago and doesn't show all the "hardware" since I still had some pulls to finish (lathe work). The pulls are turned from maple burl and were finished with clear lacquer to contrast to the darker stain (TransTint Honey Amber and Golden Brown) and so that one could still see the detail of the burl. The remainder of the hutch was finished with Minwax satin wiping varnish on the exterior and shellac on the interior. I've never been so glad to get a project done...

Attachments

• 100_0287.jpg
    100_0287.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 100_0293.jpg
    100_0293.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 100_0294.jpg
    100_0294.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 60
  • 100_0295.jpg
    100_0295.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 100_0296.jpg
    100_0296.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 100_0297.jpg
    100_0297.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 96
Chris that is a mighty fine looking piece of furniture. I am also planning to build a hutch soon. I like your use of tiger maple. What did you use for the design/plans?

Hi Chris :wave:,
Your choice of material is excellent and the tone you have on that maple is so very rich, and enhancing to the piece. Having the back wall look so pearl like in your piece is a real plus too. Great to be done, time to enjoy it!
Shaz:)

I love not only the design but the wood!!!! :thumb:

That finish really brings out the textures of the wood.
If I were to build that project I would try my best to duplicate what you have there Chris.

Beautiful work! :clap::clap::clap:

DT

Thanks for the kind words guys! Alex, this hutch was of my own design with influence from others I've seen but, you are welcome to my rudimentary drawings and any other information I can provide.

Hi Chris:wave:

I almost missed this one, I'm amazed on the quality of your work, as someone said already It's a heirloom piece.:thumb:

Just a question, tiger maple is a different type of maple wood? or it is they way it has been cut? I'm a complete ignorant on those details. So far I only know soft and hard maple.

Hi Toni,

Here in the backwoods of Tennessee in the eastern central US "tiger" or "curly" maple is the very same species as the non-figured wood (Acer) but, just happens that for whatever reason it grows with the fibers running in a wavy pattern instead of simply strait. This figure can be found in both hard and soft maple but, from what I have heard and read about, is more common in soft maple. I have attached a picture from the construction phase showing the wood fairly close up (including a maple leaf shaped inlay from maple burl to repair an inclusion spot) that may provide some additional insight. Also, you can see some of the detail of the knobs/pulls I turned from maple burl for the doors and drawers. At the time I posted the pictures above I had not finished all 8 of them but, they are now in place.

Attachments

• 100_0039.jpg
    100_0039.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 17
Chris, that is one awesome piece of furniture. I love the stock you used and and how you treated it. Excellent work!

Corey