Steep-Sided Red Eucalyptus Bowl

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
This piece of red eucalyptus can't decide if it's a bowl or a vase, but it's about 7" wide by 5 1/2" tall. The walls are about 3/16" thick (tapering to a rounded bottom on the inside). I burned the rim just to highlight the thinness of the rim.

More of my Auntie Coil and spray lacquer finish, wet sanded with 600 grit and buffed with the three wheel system. As an experiment, I wet sanded and buffed this piece the same day that I applied the lacquer (about 6 or 7 light coats). I sanded with a very light touch, and buffed pretty lightly also. I know you're supposed to let it cure longer, but this is proof that you can buff lacquer out pretty soon after the application. (But...if you try this yourself and burn the lacquer off, don't blame me. Try this at your own risk.) That all said, I'm going to give it a few more days of curing time, then re-buff it a bit more vigorously. Although I like the finish as-is, I want to get more of a "grand piano gloss" on this piece.

Here's a plethora of pics to preview:

Bowl 032 - 01 800.jpg Bowl 032 - 02 800.jpg Bowl 032 - 03 800.jpg Bowl 032 - 04 800.jpg Bowl 032 - 07 800.jpg Bowl 032 - 06 800.jpg

Your thoughts?

That's a beauty! I really like the form and the burned rim sets it off nice. How much more of that beautiful red eucalyptus do you have. Man that's pretty wood!