Glue-up after staining

Aaron Beaver

Anyone done it? I really need to stain all those little stiles before I do the glue up since the space is very tight in between them. In doing that I have to tape off everything, no big deal, but I am worried about excess glue when I glue up.

Will it wipe right off or is there something else I need to do? Really I would rather glue it up first but it would be a harder to stain. I thought about wrapping tape around the ends of the stiles after the stain dried but that would only work for the top of the stile because the glue will want to run down, so on the bottom it will want to run out on the rail. Suggestions welcome.

Mission Bed 023-2.jpg

Hi Aaron,

I have done something similar with staining first and taping up the ends. It works great and the glue will wipe off the stained wood right away. If the glue gets on the unfinished wood you will have to do lots of sanding to get rid of it as the stain will not take to the glue residue. Maybe someone has a better way but that is what I have done and it worked good.

Finishing pieces before glue-up is not a bad idea though I haven't done it myself. Rather my method for dealing with excess glue is to use painters masking tape where corners are too tight for fat fingers with sanding paper to reach. It means I have the extra step of taping before glue-up but then again I don't have deal with glue white-out in tight corners when I am finishing.

I've done the blue tape thing before and will do it again but that's going to be one tedious tape job. Invariably on that tight working area stuff you'll end up with a small number of miniscule blue tape slivers that managed to get caught in the joint and glued down tight, which you're then going to have to work out with chisels, exacto-knives, etc. I'd realy try to minimize the excess glue and if possible only glue one side at a time while the upper (drip-prone) one is a dry fit.

Consider taking out all of the tiny vertical members, stain and finish them spending what ever little time necessary to avoid completely covering the tenon with either stain or finish. Put together the top and bottom rail with the side and center stiles. Stain them while together, allowing a bit of stain to seep into the joints so as to color the cracks. Then set about to finish the five piece unit, 2 side pieces, and 1 center piece and the 2 rails while they are together. If brushing, plug all the little holes with square dowels . if spraying it won't matter too much as the spray shouldn't go into the little holes.
The vertical spindles are not to hold the rails together, that is done by the two side pieces and the center piece. Your square mortise will hold the tiny spindels true. I believe just a dab of glue for the spindels to keep them from rattling in the night, and concentrate on a good glued up connection as the rails join the end pieces and in the center, then with finish already applied, any excess glue will be easily done away with. Just my opinion and if you don't feel comfortable with it by no means don't do it that way. Good looking so far!
Shaz

Last edited:
Consider taking out all of the tiny vertical members, stain and finish them spending what ever little time necessary to avoid completely covering the tenon with either stain or finish. Put together the top and bottom rail with the side and center stiles. Stain them while together, allowing a bit of stain to seep into the joints so as to color the cracks. Then set about to finish the five piece unit, 2 side pieces, and 1 center piece and the 2 rails while they are together. If brushing, plug all the little holes with square dowels . if spraying it won't matter too much as the spray shouldn't go into the little holes.
The vertical spindles are not to hold the rails together, that is done by the two side pieces and the center piece. Your square mortise will hold the tiny spindels true. I believe just a dab of glue for the spindels to keep them from rattling in the night, and concentrate on a good glued up connection as the rails join the end pieces and in the center, then with finish already applied, any excess glue will be easily done away with. Just my opinion and if you don't feel comfortable with it by no means do it that way. Good looking so far!
Shaz

I want to see if I have this clear.
1.)stain all vertical stiles
2.)then put together the entire unit (do you me go ahead and glue or just dry fit?)
3.)stain all other pieces once put together, top & bottom rail, and legs.

I kind of like what you have there, the steps just are clear to me right now, maybe its to early :)

I want to see if I have this clear.
1.)stain all vertical stiles ( I would do this and put the finish on them too. )
2.)then put together the entire unit (do you me go ahead and glue or just dry fit?) (I would dry fit the five structural members, top, bottom, center divider and 2 legs, stain amd finish them) When these dry the "entire piece" can be assembled with glue on the relatively untouched tenons and mortises.
3.)stain all other pieces once put together, top & bottom rail, and legs.

I kind of like what you have there, the steps just are clear to me right now, maybe its to early :)
Morning Aaron:wave:,
Trying to do a good job staining and finishing when it is assembled would be a hugh undertaking. I like the term "divide and conquer". Seperate your job into categorical tasks that you can do with great efficiency and expertise. Focus on each task as an end in itself. When completed doing the best you can on each phase, deliberately put it all together with poise and determination. :D
Hope this helps.
Shaz :)