Wood ID ????

Bill Simpson

Red Oak, white Oak and....????

Bottom is Red Oak, Next is White Oak but the top two are something different, I think I know what the wormy is but would like some ideas from you guys....

P1020539s.jpg

ID ?

I'm thinking American Chestnut. Depends on how old the lumber is, where you got it, etc. There are still a few of them around, but not many. I picked up some chestnut this year at our annual club auction that was cut and stacked in a barn in 1908.:eek: Yes that date is correct. About 1200 BDFT was donated to the club by the wife of the now-deceased owner. Lots of worm holes and surface oxidation, but beneath the surface is beautiful. Slightly yellowish, coarse open grain, not as hard as walnut, wormy.

You might just have a little treasure there!

Quite certain that the questioned piece is Wormy American Chestnut or could be Wormy Chineese Chestnut, (the Typhoid Mary of the Chestnut tree)

I compared it to a piece that I KNOW is Wormy American Chestnut, I have a Plaque made of it for the past 30+ years hanging on the wall. I was quite certain of the finding but just wading the waters for quesses. Some of you guys are pretty good even with poor pictures, :thumb: Each of the pieces are Quarter sawn and so the Rays are quite apparent, in both the white Oak and Red Oak.

Although some Red Oak can be whiter than White oak and some White oak can be redder than red Oak. I am pretty sure of my findings.. with the red oak piece you can suck air through the end whilst with the white oak you suck nothing but get the aroma of a good Bourbon Barrel.:thumb:

As for fear that worms would attack my stash, these are Chestnut worms which are different from the Powderpost worm, smaller in diameter and dead after the tree dries out.

thanks for paying attention and providing insight.