Rockwell tools?

Matt I am not sure but I don't think these people are the same ones that owned Delta as in Delta/Rockwell tools. If it were me I would go with the Ryobi with the new L/I batteries. I think you did pretty good getting 3 years out of your old set. I think for the average user 18V will become the new standard. Its to bad you didn't already have the Ryobi 18V all you would need is the charger & batteries. I am thinking of converting my 18V system over to 18V L/I type batteries.

I have never been one to go out & buy an unknown. My Uncle used to say let someone else take the risk on the new model or make of car.(he owned his own mechanic shop) Never buy one because all the parts are going into the manufacture of the cars & there is very few parts on the shelf available for repair.

Last edited:
milwaukee, bosch, makita or festool are pretty safe bets with cordless stuff if you`re going to use `em.....off brands are just that.

With guys like you and me around, Jason will never be able to pay for college for his daughter.
Check Amazon for prices before making your final decision. I saved about 30% on my DeWalt compared to next lowest source.

I have the same 18volt set up as Bart, and I have enjoyed them as well...don't hold a long charge, but I'm not a power user so that doesn't really matter. I'm hoping santa brings some of the lith. batteries for me under the tree this year.

I have all my tool battery chargers on a plug strip hooked up to a timer. I know the chargers are supposed to shut of automatically but this has worked for me & I seem to get about 3.5 or more years of use from my batteries. I set the timer for just a little longer than the particular battery is supposed to take to charge.

My DeWalt and Makita are 6 and 7 years old with no sign of needing replacement. I cannot say the same for Ryobi, C-man, B&D or any others I may have owned that have gone the way of all cheap tools.

$100 "something" with a flashlight or a $140 DeWalt/Bosch/Mil/etc. without one . . . . no contest. I'm not saying you should run out and buy a Festool (no offense to any Festool owners intended) but there are manufacturers who have a long, long running positive reputation in cordless drills. For 25 - 50% more $$$ you get twice or thrice the tool.

P.s. Reconditioned tools are not a bad deal either in some cases.

Last edited:
Its a toss up for me I've had more expensive tools with batteries that cost twice as much as the $39 for 2 Ryobi batteries so I can buy 4 Ryobi batteries for about what 2 of the other batteries coast me. it works for me. I tried to by Rigid on sale when they were supposed to be on sale at HD I even saw the display set up paper work for the sale but it never happened.:eek::eek::eek:

Matt,

From their web site, "About Us"...

"Rockwell power tools are a part of the Positec Group of companies which have been designing, engineering and manufacturing power tools since 1994."

A search on Amazon turns up their tools branded Master Mechanic. Not exactly what you asked, but some additional info on the company. Would be interesting to find out how they got the respected Rockwell name...

Matt,
I don't have experience with Rockwell tools - BUT. These tools are made by Positec Group. They also make Master Mechanic and Worx tools . . .
Oh, Greg beat me to it!:D
Plus they are offering free batteries - for life! (now who's life - mine or theirs!:rofl:)
Wes

Perhaps I missed it, but I don't think anyone mentioned Panasonic. I have two of their drills and the batteries didn't need replacing for years. I'll bet I got ten years out of the twelve volt job, and the fifteen point sixer has lasted a good long time too. Give some thought to them.

Matt,
Have you looked into having your current batteries rebuilt? I think you can have this done for about $65 -$70. My understanding is that the rebuilt batteries are actually better than new. They are supposed to be stronger and hold a charge longer than the original ever did. So it seems to me that you would end up with a better than new drill while spending less money. I am considering doing this with my HD 12V Ridgid.
I know this didn't answer you question either, but I still think it is worth considering.

Perhaps I missed it, but I don't think anyone mentioned Panasonic. I have two of their drills and the batteries didn't need replacing for years. I'll bet I got ten years out of the twelve volt job, and the fifteen point sixer has lasted a good long time too. Give some thought to them.

Dixon,
Those panasonics are like, 200 bucks. I think Matt is looking for something a little less expensive.

My buying habits are a bit backwards I think. I tend to go for cheap and inexpensive at first. For instance, I think I bought 3 very cheap 1/2" corded drills over the last couple of years just to mix up mortar for when the LOML does tiling. After burning them up rather quickly, I finally decided that it was worth it to go get a top-grade drill.

Then again, I've bought cheap and inexpensive and used them for years and never needed the top-grade model. I've also bought top-grade at first, then found that I hardly ever use it and should have bought cheap and expensive.

Moral of the story, after this drill goes south, if I still need a cordless drill, then I'll probably go top-grade then.

I do exactly the same thing.
I have a $19.95 Harbor Freight reciprocating saw I have used a few times to do some home destruction that has served me quite well.
I also have a generic brand 18V drill that is probably 7-8 years old that works just fine.

So these kind of experiences just encourage me to buy more junk. But, hey by saving money on stuff like that, I can buy more wood!

I've used a similar approach for tools for some things. I bought a multi-piece set of Black and Decker cordless tools years ago (before getting into woodworking), and for my limited needs at the time, the set served me well. I got my hundred or so bucks worth from the package.