Pen Swap Anyone? (closed)

Gord Rock

How many would be interested in doing a pen swap? The way I see it would be for anyone who would like to be involved to just say "I'M IN". Once you commit to being involved all you have to do is make a pen that you'd like to send to someone and that person would send one to you. I know it's too late to start this for a Christmas exchange but if the spirit moves you, great:D.

Anyone who wants to get involved please just say so in this thread. I'm thinking that if each of those involved was to make a European style pen they would all be somewhat alike as far as the kits and the big differences would be in the wood, acrylic or whatever you choose to make yours out of.
To give everyone plenty of time to decide to get involved and make the pens I'll take the names of everyone who registers, put them in a hat and draw them out in pairs. I'll do this on the 15th of December. Is this enough time to make up your minds?:huh: I'll post the list of pairs and each of us can contact his/her partner to exchange mailing addresses by PM.

If that is okay with everyone, I think that January 3rd should be a good date by which to have the pens completed and in the mail. Also, those who want to can post photos of the pens they've sent out. I hope enough of us will take the time to give it a shot.:)

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks,:wave:
.....Gord

Stu, it can't be much worse than shipping a pen to Queensland, Australia - I sent one out yesterday - $21.00!!!!!

I'm in - but it will have to wait until after the first of the year on my calendar. If you want a January 3 deadline, I'll have to opt out this time, darn it!!

Nancy (24 days)

I'm in - but it will have to wait until after the first of the year on my calendar. If you want a January 3 deadline, I'll have to opt out this time, darn it!!

I didn't mean that January 3rd was a deadline.:eek: It's just a suggestion and I'd like feedback from everyone as to the date we should use. Do you have a suggestion, Nancy?

Stu, it can't be much worse than shipping a pen to Queensland, Australia - I sent one out yesterday - $21.00!!!!!

Nancy (24 days)

Heh, Nancy, I sent one to Queensland yesterday too, but it cvost me over $35.:eek: Of course, I sent a few blanks with it. :D

Oops, Gord, like others, I'd be inclined to go along, but the 3 Jan thing makes it out of reach for me. Too many irons in the fire just now. Christmas for family members still not done and probably won't be until right up until I leave for Texas.

Last edited:
Gord, as a suggestion, why don't we make it a Valentine's exchange, with a goal of having pens exchanged and in hand by February 14? We could also see how many RED pens could be made. :D

I'm not a big fan of sticking with the same pen style, as I intensely dislike turning Europeans, but I'll do it if the majority rules.

A pen exchange would be fun--let's go for it.

Nancy (24 days)

Last edited:
Since nobody seems to want to suggest an alternate completion date how does February 8th sound? It gives everyone another month; is that enough time?:huh:
Is December 15 okay for deciding whether you want to be in this? That would give everyone 8 weeks to finish their pen once they know who they are making it for.
Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.:)

Just saw Nancy's reply after posting this. I think a Valentine's pen is a great idea!!! Anyone else? Also, the type of pen could be left up to the individual if that's okay with the others. Hey, I'm easy, just ask my wife.:rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
Since nobody seems to want to suggest an alternate completion date how does February 8th sound? It gives everyone another month; is that enough time?:huh:
Is December 15 okay for deciding whether you want to be in this? That would give everyone 8 weeks to finish their pen once they know who they are making it for.
Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.:)

Did you see my post about Valentine's Day, Gord??

Nancy (24 days)

I'm in. I think I can turn a pen in 2 months.......maybe........uhhhhh can someone help me find my lathe. I can't seem to find it under all the shavings.:huh: I gotta go clean now!!!:rofl:

Hi Folks :wave:,
Great idea!
Let me ask you a question. Not being a pen turner, not having any idea what a "kit"? costs or what is in it:dunno:, I, like others, I imagine, have no idea of a fairmarket value. If we did we might be able to offer an equal value trade, to become part of this family affair.
What is a "blank"? How many blanks could be traded for a pen? If it is 50 blanks then shipping might be a consideration.:huh: Would you take seven?:rolleyes:. It should be a fair trade if possible.
If you want involvement, figure a way to get the non pen turners involved.
Imagine... Just because the family's youngest 5 year old can't catch a pass, dosn't know the rules, and could care less about the score, should he be left out of the family football game with Dad,Mom and the 3 sisters?:D
Shaz :)
Just throwing spaghetti on the wall to see if any sticks:rofl:

Shaz, always gotta throw a monkey wrench into things, don't you??? :D

Hi Folks :wave:,
Great idea!
Let me ask you a question. Not being a pen turner, not having any idea what a "kit"? costs pen kits can cost anything from $1.95 for a slimline to $50 and up for some of the really fancy titanium or rhodium or platinum-finished kits. Most are under $15--some very far under $15. or what is in it:dunno:,A pen kit contains everything that you need to assemble a pen--the tubes, the working mechanism that makes the point go in and out, the clip, centerband, nib, and the refill.

I, like others, I imagine, have no idea of a fairmarket value. Fair market value for a hand-turned pen is basically WHAT YOU CAN GET FOR IT. I know of guys over on some of the pen-turning forums who are taking a rhodium fountain pen with a 22k gold nib, for which they paid $70.00 for the kit, and are getting $300 and up for the finished pen. It's basically what the market will bear, based on the material that the pen is turned from and the workmanship, the fit of the turned material against the pen parts, and finish, and whether or not someone likes it.

If we did we might be able to offer an equal value trade, to become part of this family affair.
What is a "blank"? A pen blank is a piece of wood (usually) about 3/4 x 3/4 x 5", cut with the grain (usually). A pen blank can also be stabilized wood, acrylic, corian, antler, rifle shell, almost anything.

How many blanks could be traded for a pen? Depends on who is doing the trading. If it is 50 blanks then shipping might be a consideration.:huh: Would you take seven?:rolleyes:. It should be a fair trade if possible.

If you want involvement, figure a way to get the non pen turners involved. The "non-pen-turners" could become involved by becoming pen turners. It doesn't take much, just a mini-lathe and about $$$$$ worth of pen-turning supplies.:eek::eek: Entering into the vortex is one of those things that empties your wallet and maxes out your credit card in a big hurry.

Imagine... Just because the family's youngest 5 year old can't catch a pass, dosn't know the rules, and could care less about the score, should he be left out of the family football game with Dad,Mom and the 3 sisters?:D
Shaz :)
Just throwing spaghetti on the wall to see if any sticks:rofl:

Now to ask you a question: if you don't turn, what are you doing lurking in lathe land???:huh::huh::D:D:D

In all seriousness, if having a pen swap motivates someone to get interested in turning, I'm all for it.

Nancy (24 days)

Gord, I'm in. I should be able to get a pen done in the next couple of months. (Getting ready to dismantle the shop somewhat to upgrade the electrical service, so I may not be turning much for a little while.) I'll have to dig around and see if I can find my Euro bushings. Just to be sure, do you have any links to the particular Euro kit you have in mind?

Count me in also. Have been involved in pen swaps before and they can be a lot of fun and a good way to make new friends.

Bobby McCarley
Louisiana