Floor Problems!

Ed Nelson

I noticed some nice black spots on my hardwood (red oak) flooring. This is from a plant that has been there for quite a while. Not sure how long it has been leaking. I tried to use some wood bleach to see if I could bleach out the stains. That didn't work, so I decided it was time for surgery. Cut out several of the boards to find they were soaking wet! Thankfully the installers put some tar paper down and there was no damage to the sub floor. I'll give it a while to dry out thoroughly and put some new boards in. Then will come the real fun! I think straight amber shellac should match up pretty we though.

Someone told me the other day that the Zinnzer premixed is no longer waxed. Can anyone verify or dispute that? I may need to get some flakes and mix my own.

Here's the pics

I'm holding a can of Amber that was made in June this year. It still carries the warning about not using it under poly so I'm guessing it's still waxed. The Zinsser's Seal Coat is not.

Last edited:
I believe the Zinsser product that your friend was referring to is "Seal Coat".
It is a dewaxed shellac that is pretty much compatible with any finish out there. Personally, I love the stuff.:thumb:

...............That didn't work, so I decided it was time for surgery. Cut out several of the boards to find they were soaking wet! Thankfully the installers put some tar paper down and there was no damage to the sub floor. I'll give it a while to dry out thoroughly and put some new boards in...............

Whoa there big boy, back up a second........:eek:

Ah......why in the world were your floor boards inside your house "Soaking Wet"......:huh:

Find out the source of the water, or you will be doing the same remove and repair again soon.

Whoa there big boy, back up a second........:eek:

Ah......why in the world were your floor boards inside your house "Soaking Wet"......:huh:

Find out the source of the water, or you will be doing the same remove and repair again soon.
It was the potted plant. In the dining room. With the lead pipe. Either that, or it was Col. Mustard in the hallway with the knife. :rofl:

(Re-read the second sentence of the original post.) ;)

It was the potted plant. In the dining room. With the lead pipe. Either that, or it was Col. Mustard in the hallway with the knife. :rofl:

(Re-read the second sentence of the original post.) ;)

OK, never mind, I just saw leak and I skipped the plant thing, we have hardwood floors, and lots of plants, but with plates under them, so they don't leak, or can't leak, I guess I did not "get" the "plant as a source of water" thing, as, correct me if I'm wrong (again) but YOU have to water the plant.......... right, so if it was leaking......... why keep watering it...... :huh: :dunno:

Anyway, glad to know that is all it was, leaks under floors can be from a LOT of places and can be KILLER to track down.

I'll go back to the turning forum now..... :eek:

OK, never mind, I just saw leak and I skipped the plant thing, we have hardwood floors, and lots of plants, but with plates under them, so they don't leak, or can't leak, I guess I did not "get" the "plant as a source of water" thing, as, correct me if I'm wrong (again) but YOU have to water the plant.......... right, so if it was leaking......... why keep watering it...... :huh: :dunno:

Anyway, glad to know that is all it was, leaks under floors can be from a LOT of places and can be KILLER to track down.

I'll go back to the turning forum now..... :eek:
Nah, you bring up good points. With big pots, it's possible they can leak undetected. And you're right...the plant may not be the only culprit.

Hey Stu!:wave:

I have checked everything where the water was and the plant is the only possible source. No pipes. the water is centralized about 12"~18" from the exterior wall with no evidence of water near the wall. The red oak flooring helped the water to move all the way through a couple boards. Can't find another possible source and it was a quite large pot. The pot and saucer were terra cotta and I guess it was just porous enough to allow that much water to get through. I couldn't see any, but there may be a hairline crack in the saucer. I haven't had a problem with any of the others.

Thanks for the concern!