Artist Table Design

Ed Nelson

A lady I have done some work for in the past has asked me to help her design a larger table for her to do her painting on. Right now she has a table that is about 18"x36". She was originally thinking of just attaching a larger top, which is still an option, but the layout of the room really isn't good for that and left a lot of dead space.

I have suggested building a corner work table that would significantly increase her work surface. Here is what I have come up with so far. I would appreciate some input on the basic design. The rails will be M&T into the legs. The top will probably be melamine banded with hardwood.

Another item of concern is lighting. Here eyesight is fading and she needs bright light. Do any of you have suggestions on a good lighting system that would come close to natural daylight?

Hi Ed :wave:,
Nice rendition!
Is she painting flat or on a slant, how large of a painting is normal? If a melomine top ( 4'x8' ) run it diagonal, cutting off the back in the corner, ( rather than having to join pieces, or are you privy to a 5'x5' piece?) add a corner shelf unit, to cover the hole and hook some drafting table lights out over her work space with the screw in flourescent bulbs.
We are just brainstorming right? :D OR how about those skykights, one on each side of the hip roof?
Shaz:)

Nice rendition!
Is she painting flat or on a slant, how large of a painting is normal? Painting flat. I asked if she would be interested in a slant table and she said nope! If a melomine top ( 4'x8' ) run it diagonal, cutting off the back in the corner, ( rather than having to join pieces, or are you privy to a 5'x5' piece?) Haven't checked on that, maybe some baltic birch with laminate, if I can find it??? They are 60"x60", right? add a corner shelf unit, to cover the hole and hook some drafting table lights out over her work space with the screw in fluorescent bulbs.That sounds like a pretty good idea!
We are just brainstorming right? :D OR how about those skykights, one on each side of the hip roof? Yea!:thumb:...except they are in a condo on the ground floor:(
Shaz:)

I can't run the price up on her too much. Especially since we started with just putting a larger board on top of the table she has. I am thinking I could add a couple drawer units on each side by the legs. Dave O'nan gave me a link to a lighting company that provides full spectrum bulbs that may help with lighting. I'll have to work on the fixture options!

Thanks for the ideas!

Maybe you could make her a rather large mirror ( I have a 4'x4' mirror turned hexagon with 2x6 cedar frame that is used as my reference. ) for either wall mount or one of those full length look at yourself dressing mirrors that tilt. Put in the right place, if she paints during the day, the light reflected could help with the lighting in a green sort of way.:D And would afford you a fun project at that.:dunno:
Shaz :)
Does she paint in a room with windows, is it a designated Art room?

There is one window (northern light) into the room and the left side of the table will be in front of the window. Mirrors are an intriguing idea! The room is the designated art room, but has to double as a guest room a couple times a year. Here's a quick sketch of the room I'm dealing with.

Attachments

• artist table room.jpg
    artist table room.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 16
There is one window (northern light) into the room and the left side of the table will be in front of the window. Mirrors are an intriguing idea! The room is the designated art room, but has to double as a guest room a couple times a year. Here's a quick sketch of the room I'm dealing with.
Thanks Ed. Do you play Pool? Light bounces like a billiard ball, I think. Could be a real fun experiment.:D Think Green!:rofl: :thumb:
Shaz:wave: