Tile flooring question

Sketchup is what I wish that I could do. You are really good at that Ed!

Thanks, but I don't think I'm all that good with it. Just played with it enough to make do! Try working through some of the tutorials. You have some great resources available here. Dave Richards is a fantastic help!

Ed, If you go with a thinner Riser then you will have a stronger attachment of the Bullnose to the step. Also consider the Moisture migration from the Concrete. If it is really old structure and well cured it shouldn't be too big of a concern but there will some MC changes as seasons change and this may effect the riser (being a wide panel) Consider Paint or finish on the back side (Not Latex as it Breathes and will allow MC to pass through) Seal the concrete with vapor barrier paint. Or you could use manufactured or stable veneered panel for the riser. Also leave some space under the lip of the Bull Nose to allow for expansion, etc.

You probably know of this but I thought I would just remind you before you set out and then have to say "Why didn't I think of that"

PS.... Want to see pictures of completed job....I really like the Wood Riser and Bullnose with Tiled Tread. Unusual and quite attractive. I think you will find that the PITA of making it all come together is the reason for the "Unusual". I can see where it will be very time consuming but well worth the effort.

Last edited:
Thanks Bill. I have been going over all of the issues that I can think of, but the moisture from the concrete is one I have given too much thought to...yet! The condo is almost 30 yrs old, but I have no idea what they did under the concrete! The seal paint is a good idea.Thanks!

Ed, I agree with Randy on the schluter stuff. I've used several of their products also. They make transitions for just such situations. Here is a picture of a curb for a walk in shower. This is very similar to what you show in your pic. Sorry for the quality of the picture.

Attachments

• november 07 cutting boards (768 x 512).jpg
    november 07 cutting boards (768 x 512).jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 13