Lee Valley Drilling Kit

Looks like a sweet one to me Rob. I can think of dozens of applications for that setup. :thumb:

DT

Although in general I'm opposed to "kits" because they often include seldom needed items in an attempt to make the deal appear better then they really are, this one appears to be a pretty good one. I guess it really depends on the quality of materials. Worst case scenario you end up having to return it to one of the best online retailers in terms of customer service. :thumb:

I have had the kit for about four years and use it a lot. Everything is of good quality. I find that I use all sizes, but others who are more restricted in their drilling should probably opt only for some parts of the kit and the parts can be bought seperately.

Rob,

I agree that the kit seems a bit on the expensive side...but I've grown accustomed to that from LV.

I got the most recent catalog from Garret Wade last night. You might want to have a look at THIS KIT they have on sale. Seems to be a bit more for the money...although it doesn't have the plug cutters or tapered bits. They have a few other kits on sale as well. Perhaps one of these might fit better under your tree...:rolleyes:

- Marty -

I have to say it seems high prices to me too. I would use a lot of whats in there though.

Like Tod, I am not much on kits. But I received a DeWalt kit with an assortment of drill bits, drivers, adapters etc. and I find that I use it all the time with my cordless drill. Really surprised me but I really like that kit. I think because everything is in once place and easy to find.

And the one Marty posted looks really good too. I like drill bits organized like that. Most of mine are loose in a drawer and of course you can never find what you need.

Yeah, I knew it was expensive but I figured I wouldn't be paying for it so, what the heck. Truth is though, my wife would probably get it for me so I'd end up paying for it anyway.:eek:

I think I'm gonna take it off my list because I honestly don't think I'll use enough of the set to make it worth it.

Marty, I saw that Garrett Wade set a few days ago but I just don't need all those bits right now. It does look very nice, though. I wish I had seen that before I bought my piece-of-crap Hitachi set last year.

Thanks for your feedback everyone. :)

I have a set of plug cutters (Both types, straight and tapered) I payed no where near a fraction of that price. I use the 3/8 mor than any as I cover screw holes with bungs, etc. But I also use 1/2" and Repaired a wall using the 5/8" and I plugged the holds from drawer handle using the 1/4" so each has use. I also have a set of counter sink drill bits (although I do not have tapered bits (waiting to see them on sale) but most of my furniture screw holes I do as Counter bore, & shank hole on the drill press. Also I use a step drill similar to a Kregs drill bit, more than the countersink drills. The counter sink drills I use when doing "off campus" work or installing the cabinetry I am building.

A Jim Dandy set it is but the Price is a Joke compared to comperable items sold seperately (at other suppliers)

I bought a set made in China for maybe $20. I don't use it a lot but when I have used it, it works fine. Here's a set made in China sold by Garrett Wade for a bit (pun-pun) under $28.

If you're going to use it a lot, you might want to purchase a better quality set.

Mike

Last edited:
...I think I'm gonna take it off my list because I honestly don't think I'll use enough of the set to make it worth it...
You answered the question I was getting ready to ask. For me, a set like that would get very little use, since I don't really do much (if any) work that would require it.

The import set from Garret Wade that Mike pointed out seems like it would be fine for the occasional tapered countersunk hole, though.

Thanks for the pointer, Mike. I know you weren't referring to the more expensive one on that page but I did find this humorous:

taper.jpg

At $84.80, it's a steal compared to the regular price of...

$84.80.

:huh: