What's going on this weekend?

Jeff Bower

Haven't done this thread the last few weeks as I was busy and away from the computer....
The LOML's birthday is tomorrow and we have my MIL taking our 2yr old daughter for an overnight...first time in almost a year without her :)D and :() We are having a few friends over for drinks and appetizers and if the winter storm on the way has quieted down by then maybe a few smores from the firepit outside.

I will be finishing up a few lathe projects this weekend as well, hope to post some pics on Sunday...since my beloved Packers lost last night and won't be on the TV I should have time.

What is everyone else doing, Vaughn I think you have your hands full with the shop clear out and rearrange. Have a great weekend!! :wave:

Well we will be putting up the tree this weekend, this Christmas will be the first Christmas in 5 years that my girls will be here at home with my wife and I, usually they get to go to Grampa and Grama's house in Canada for a couple of weeks over the Christmas vacation. This year my eldest has started junior high school and has tests right up until the 24th, so there was no way she could miss those, thus the kids are home for Christmas. You see here in Japan, Christmas is NOT a holiday, and it is the BUSIEST season for the Liquor shop. Other than that, dunno, might be working on this project for the Dentist.

Cheers!

I going to pick up some ash from a local sawyer and get started on the artist table. Del McCoury is in town tomorrow night so we'll probably be listening to some good bluegrass!

Since closing on the house Nov. 16th (my birthday, oddly enough), I've spent every spare minute over there doing stuff like moving a back door, pulling up carpet, opening up a wall to discover french doors (and windows), patching said windows, patching an awkward doorway ... umm lessee ... oh meeting with hardwood floor guys, stucco guys, alarm guys and hopefully plumber guys if one ever actually shows up...

This weekend, you say? The fateful conversation with my landlord tomorrow. I'm not looking forward to that conversation. He's a great guy and we really hit it off. Plus, I did so much to this place we're in that we actually should probably be negotiating to sell him some things (appliances we don't wanna move, for example). It gets all business-y real fast and i'm not looking forward to that.

After that, the rest of the weekend will be spent mudding and sanding and priming and painting and hopefully ... just hopefully ... i'll be able to crawl around under the house to run grounding wires for all the outlets, cat5 and phone as well as some coax for certain rooms ...

So this is what home ownership is like, eh? :p

So this is what home ownership is like, eh? :p

No...this is the fun part. Getting it the way you want before you move in. Home ownership is keeping it that way!! Way more work and expense. :thumb:
Not sure what I'll do this weekend. We have my company Christmas party tomorrow night. Sounds like a great family affair with 5 bounce houses for the little ones, Santa Clause, etc. Might tackle installing the Biese fence on my saw this weekend, or start making the drawers for the router table, since I've had the BB in the shop for about a month now! Have a good weekend everyone! Jim.

Doing "girlie" stuff today -- claws sharpened (nails done), resting and relaxing. Have about 5 laser jobs on the hook for the weekend, but no thing major or time-crunchy. Gonna try to convince LOML to take me out to dinner tonight, and try to get in some preps for Christmas--since I have to mail every gift, I need to get it done.

Nancy (21 days)

LOML's working late tonight and has a B-day party tomorrow so its shop time for me. I want to whip up a re-saw attachment for the BS and get a few more things put away following the electrical re-build just finished. I need to re-make / improve my dowel holder and mount it to the rafters as well. Every little bit helps on the road back to getting the shop ready.

Just trying to wait out the storm....

We're up at 3.25" of rain, more than 800 30+ mph gusts in the last 24 hours, maximum gust so far is 75 mph :eek:. So far it hasn't started snowing, so we haven't lost the internet yet :D. At that point I think we might actually put chains on the truck to go get some movies :rofl:

I'm going to have to start keeping some emergency supplies up here, you know, wood, chisels, that sort of thing :rofl:

Putting up Christmas lights outide, we'll see how many I get up before my little fingers startt o freeze. Then continue to plumb my new compressor's airlines into the basement. (I hate swetting)

You gotta ask? ;) First, I'll be looking for a way to get 500 pounds of steel and iron from the back of my truck into the shop without breaking anything. Machine or me. If I can get that accomplished, then I'll be assembling the new lathe and putting into place. Won't be able to spin for about a week. Have to wait for a friend to come over and run my 220. If you don't hear from me for a while, it will mean I'm in the hospital for emergency hernia repair or trying to save a crushed foot.
What it's supposed to look like if all goes well.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0632

frank, hearing your worry about getting your heavy lathe out of the bed of the truck reminded me of my saga with an 8" jointer...also from grizzly.

while waiting for my grandson and SIL for the muscle to move the main body of the jointer i removed the top of the wooden box and took the lighter stuff out. then i just tested the weight of the remaining piece in the box to see if i could lift one end of it. try as i might i couldn't even budge one end. i was standing astride the beast with both feet in the box.

turns out the jointer was bolted to the bottom of the box and i was trying to lift myself as well!!!

so be forewarned frank, make sure the lathe is free in the box before you and the crew start lifting.