Small Gravity Feed Spray Gun Question.........

Stuart Ablett

.........I got this little gun in a set of air tools a while back, OK, a LONG while back, I've never used it, but I figured it would be good for spraying the small amounts of dye on some turnings :dunno:

sm_gravity_spraygun.JPG
This is the gun, nothing special, but it should work (I hope).

I think I have the controls figured out, and by that I mean I know what they do, or control, but I'm not sure yet how to set them up. I've sprayed a few cups of water through the gun to see how it functions, to figure out the controls.

Does it look like I have them pegged?

I know that every gun can be different, but I figure this is a knock off of an existing design, so it should be similar to others?

Middle side seems to control the size of the fan, or spray pattern, the one at the back of the gun seems to control the material flow from the paint cup, and the one near the butt of the handle seems to control the air pressure. :dunno:

I found that wiping on the dyes did not work well, they would end up unevenly covering the wood, and a brush was not much better. On the containers the dyes come in it even states that they have found that spraying on the dyes seems to get the best results, thus, I'm going to try this gun.

Cheers!

Stu,

I have a Craftsman gun that looks very similar. Your control descriptions are the same as on mine. I also haven't used mine, but got it a long time ago with my compressor.

That is the same gun I have. Sold under the Ingersol Rand name. Your on the money. Spraying some carboard to start with. Took me a while to get all the setting to play nice but I am happy with it. Not a great gun but it will work.

Last edited: