Some cutting boards for Christmas

Billy Burt

I've been wanting to make some of these for some time, but I always seem to have too many irons in the fire to get any done. Like the jewelry boxes I've been wanting to make our three grown daughters for Christmas. Only I haven't been able to find the mag w/the plans, so I thought I'd give 'em these this year instead. The smallest one is the prototype and I gave it to LOML. She loves it! :D So I guess I dun good. They are all end grain, and made using Cherry, Maple, Walnut, a very small amount of QS White oak (thin strips for accent), some Butternut and some Beech. All of them were dead flat when I got them home after running them through a big belt sander, but today I noticed that one of them has cupped just a bit. :huh: I didn't think that was possible, but what do I know? So I may have to put some feet on it. Anyway, all finished w/mineral oil and ready to box up when they dry. I think the girls will be quite surprised.

Attachments

• cutting_boards.jpg
    cutting_boards.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 143
I've been having problems with mine cupping lately too, I've tried 3/4" squares and 1" x 1 1/2" squares and the latter didn't cup as bad but....still it's disheartening

I've been having problems with mine cupping lately too, I've tried 3/4" squares and 1" x 1 1/2" squares and the latter didn't cup as bad but....still it's disheartening

Les, these are 1 1/4" thick. I checked them all agin after they sat in the house for a few days and the "cupped" one is flat again (the others are still flat as well). I'm thinking that some of the wood in this particular board didn't like the change between my shop, and the hour or so it spent being transpoted and sanded somewhere else and back. :dunno: But I didn't have to put feet on it, so I'm happy.

Billy, Those are really beautiful. What a neat way to use up short off cuts from the shop. I have a huge collection of them.

What kinds of wood are included in yours?

Thanks again, all!

Billy, Those are really beautiful. What a neat way to use up short off cuts from the shop. I have a huge collection of them.

What kinds of wood are included in yours?

Tom, I used primarily Walnut, Maple and Cherry, but there is also some Butternut and narrow bits of QS White Oak thrown in. I used everything from pen blanks to cut offs from past flat work projects.

FWIW, using small pieces like this makes it much more time consuming than if I'd just gone with pieces in 3 or 4 foot lengths, but it allowed me to use up a significant portion of my scrap box.

Billy you should make a checker/chess board table. Those are great looking! :thumb:

DT