Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vertical sheet good storage

Vertical sheet good storage

Does anybody have any pics or ideas they wood want to share?

In late 2004 and early 2005, I built a sheet goods rack in my shop. It was modeled upon one built by Terry Hatfield.

Here are some notes and pictures about the rack that I extracted from the journal that I kept about the planning, building, and populating of my workshop.

2004 December 28 (Tuesday):

Terry Hatfield posted a thread on the internet about a plywood storage rack that he recently made. Here are a couple of pictures:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terry Hatfield's sheet goods rack -1.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	1399 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terry Hatfield's sheet goods rack -2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	1398

I really like to two open ends and think that I can do something similar. I had planned to further enclose the dust collector (see the chalk marks in yellow on the floor in the picture below). What I will also do is to build the sheet goods storage rack adjacent to the new wall (see the chalk marks in pink on the floor). The segment of white sheet goods is exactly 8 feet high and it is just about in the position where the outer portion of the storage rack will go. So, everything will sort-of fit.

Name:	Good location for sheet goods storage.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	1400

2005 January 3 (Monday):

I worked in the shop most I worked in the shop most of the day today and pretty well finished the wall/storage/chalkboard project. Here are some pictures:

Name:	closet wall, sheet goods storage, chalk board -1 -small.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	1401 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	closet wall, sheet goods storage, chalk board -2 -small.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	1402 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	closet wall, sheet goods storage, chalk board -4 -small.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	1403

In the two years that I have used the rack it has served me very well.

Since that time, I “discovered” baltic birch and, since it comes in 5 foot by 5 foot sheets, I needed a different size rack for it. In the remodel of the garage that I started last spring, I added a rack there for baltic birch. There are pictures of that rack in post #2 in the thread: http://familywoodworking.org/public_...hread.php?t=53
    Cheers, Frank

Thanks Frank that gives me some ideas.

Doug

doug, here`s my mess.....near the saw so minimal movement required, enough room to flip sheets like pages in a book and stought enough to slam 5-6 pieces of mdf against the uprights.....tod

Name:	MVC-109S.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	1419
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Mine is similar in concept to Terry and Frank's, but it is built from 2x4's and OSB. I bought 10' 2x4's and built 3 square frames that are 9' high by about 18" wide on the inside. The corners were bolted for strenght rather than screwed or nailed. I then lined the inside with OSB and the outside side that shows. The back and one side on mine is against a wall so I just attached it to the walls for strength.

One thing with storing them vertically if you are going to store for a long time is that you need to make sure they stay perfectly vertical or they will warp. I make sure to push the bottoms tight together and then put a block of wood between one inside wall and the stack to keep things tight. Smaller cutoffs go in there as well, but I don't worry about them warping as much since they aren't so big and heavy.

I am planning my lumber storage area in the 2-car garage shop. I don't have any full 8 foot area to stand my ply up so I will build a storage area laying the 4x8 pieces on their long edge. Above that storage rack will be a couple of the Triton lumber racks to hold hardwoods. But in front of the plywood rack on the floor I will install the metal roller as shown here:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5327

I'm hoping the roller will make it easy to slide the ply in and out of the bin without having to man-handle a 90# piece of ply.
    Jeff Wright
    Treasure Island FL

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wright View Post
    I am planning my lumber storage area in the 2-car garage shop. I don't have any full 8 foot area to stand my ply up so I will build a storage area laying the 4x8 pieces on their long edge. Above that storage rack will be a couple of the Triton lumber racks to hold hardwoods. But in front of the plywood rack on the floor I will install the metal roller as shown here:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5327

I'm hoping the roller will make it easy to slide the ply in and out of the bin without having to man-handle a 90# piece of ply.
    Good idea Jeff. I will think about adding one of those to my racks.
    Cheers, Frank

LOVE that door tod.

Having a higher ceiling than some of you I have been fortunate enough to house my plywood in accepting vertical bins about 10" to 12" apart,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vertical storage (3).jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	1629 I have found that this allows me storage capacity without the great concern for the "warp". Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vertical storage (2).jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	1628 This picture shows my sequence from the rack to the stack to the saw.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vertical storage (1).jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	1630 To prevent having them all fall over like dominoes I have a rack made with two 8' doors connected and perpendicular to the plywood rack. You can see that to the left in the last photo.
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

shaz, we want a shop tour! yours looks almost as messy as mine
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]