Vertical sheet good storage

In late 2004 and early 2005, I built a sheet goods rack in my shop. It was modeled upon one built by Terry Hatfield.

Here are some notes and pictures about the rack that I extracted from the journal that I kept about the planning, building, and populating of my workshop.

2004 December 28 (Tuesday):

Terry Hatfield posted a thread on the internet about a plywood storage rack that he recently made. Here are a couple of pictures:

Terry Hatfield's sheet goods rack -1.jpg Terry Hatfield's sheet goods rack -2.jpg

I really like to two open ends and think that I can do something similar. I had planned to further enclose the dust collector (see the chalk marks in yellow on the floor in the picture below). What I will also do is to build the sheet goods storage rack adjacent to the new wall (see the chalk marks in pink on the floor). The segment of white sheet goods is exactly 8 feet high and it is just about in the position where the outer portion of the storage rack will go. So, everything will sort-of fit.

Good location for sheet goods storage.JPG

2005 January 3 (Monday):

I worked in the shop most I worked in the shop most of the day today and pretty well finished the wall/storage/chalkboard project. Here are some pictures:

closet wall, sheet goods storage, chalk board -1 -small.JPG closet wall, sheet goods storage, chalk board -2 -small.JPG closet wall, sheet goods storage, chalk board -4 -small.JPG

In the two years that I have used the rack it has served me very well.

Since that time, I “discovered” baltic birch and, since it comes in 5 foot by 5 foot sheets, I needed a different size rack for it. In the remodel of the garage that I started last spring, I added a rack there for baltic birch. There are pictures of that rack in post #2 in the thread: http://familywoodworking.org/public_html/forums/showthread.php?t=53

doug, here`s my mess.....near the saw so minimal movement required, enough room to flip sheets like pages in a book and stought enough to slam 5-6 pieces of mdf against the uprights.....tod
MVC-109S.JPG

Mine is similar in concept to Terry and Frank's, but it is built from 2x4's and OSB. I bought 10' 2x4's and built 3 square frames that are 9' high by about 18" wide on the inside. The corners were bolted for strenght rather than screwed or nailed. I then lined the inside with OSB and the outside side that shows. The back and one side on mine is against a wall so I just attached it to the walls for strength.

One thing with storing them vertically if you are going to store for a long time is that you need to make sure they stay perfectly vertical or they will warp. I make sure to push the bottoms tight together and then put a block of wood between one inside wall and the stack to keep things tight. Smaller cutoffs go in there as well, but I don't worry about them warping as much since they aren't so big and heavy.

I am planning my lumber storage area in the 2-car garage shop. I don't have any full 8 foot area to stand my ply up so I will build a storage area laying the 4x8 pieces on their long edge. Above that storage rack will be a couple of the Triton lumber racks to hold hardwoods. But in front of the plywood rack on the floor I will install the metal roller as shown here:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5327

I'm hoping the roller will make it easy to slide the ply in and out of the bin without having to man-handle a 90# piece of ply.

I am planning my lumber storage area in the 2-car garage shop. I don't have any full 8 foot area to stand my ply up so I will build a storage area laying the 4x8 pieces on their long edge. Above that storage rack will be a couple of the Triton lumber racks to hold hardwoods. But in front of the plywood rack on the floor I will install the metal roller as shown here:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5327

I'm hoping the roller will make it easy to slide the ply in and out of the bin without having to man-handle a 90# piece of ply.
Good idea Jeff. I will think about adding one of those to my racks.

Having a higher ceiling than some of you I have been fortunate enough to house my plywood in accepting vertical bins about 10" to 12" apart,vertical storage (3).jpg I have found that this allows me storage capacity without the great concern for the "warp". vertical storage (2).jpg This picture shows my sequence from the rack to the stack to the saw.vertical storage (1).jpg To prevent having them all fall over like dominoes I have a rack made with two 8' doors connected and perpendicular to the plywood rack. You can see that to the left in the last photo.
Shaz

shaz, we want a shop tour! yours looks almost as messy as mine:D
Hi Tod,
That is a considerate way of inviting me to share. Thank you...
Your shop looks so clean and of course, your patterns!:thumb:
I am embarrassed to show you my shop. I would have no idea where to start.:huh: First I would have to clean, and straighten, dust and mop, vacuum and wax.:doh: Oh crap, no way, I have a shop to run.:rofl: And so the pile got bigger and bigger.....
Shaz

Hi Tod,
That is a considerate way of inviting me to share. Thank you...
Your shop looks so clean and of course, your patterns!:thumb:
I am embarrassed to show you my shop. I would have no idea where to start.:huh: First I would have to clean, and straighten, dust and mop, vacuum and wax.:doh: Oh crap, no way, I have a shop to run.:rofl: And so the pile got bigger and bigger.....
Shaz

shaz, sorry man i`m about as subtile as a 12# sledge:eek: .......but cleaning is for folks who ain`t workin`.....jump on in..tod

I came up with this idea for my vertical storage. I'm going to put it on caster's. Still need to finish but you get the basic idea.

Shop Fixtures 001.jpg

Shop Fixtures 005.jpg

Shop Fixtures 006.jpg

I also made this little portable storage rack for cut offs, small sheets etc.

Shop Fixtures 003.jpg

Shop Fixtures 004.jpg

Doug

I came up with this idea for my vertical storage. I'm going to put it on caster's. Still need to finish but you get the basic idea.

View attachment 1815

View attachment 1816

View attachment 1817

I also made this little portable storage rack for cut offs, small sheets etc.

View attachment 1818
View attachment 1819

Doug
Hi Doug,
It looks as though you have put in some thought to these projects. The wheels are a good idea. Make them heavy duty as I have underestimated weight and had the rubber part of the wheel fold over from the weight, thus making it really difficult to use as a WHEEL:doh:.
Also if I may be so bold, your smaller roll around boxes take up cubic feet, ( a 2' x3' box takes up 6 square feet but with a ten foot high ceiling it absorbs 60 cubic feet,) floor to ceiling, unless you can wheel them under a useable surface. Push on, they look well thought out.
Shaz

Yes you are right about taking up space with the cart. It can be moved around and slid into tight places or outside so it's out of the way.

That is why I'm going to have the vertical storage because I'm going to mostly use it for cutoffs and it takes up less space. When I start cutting on the slider everything gets leaned up against the DC.This way I can have the rack there and it will be movable. I'll post some more pics when it's done and on the floor.

Doug

doug,
how are the vertical members connected to the base?

thanks
chris

It's similar to a mortise and tenon. I cut a hole through the mdf 1 1/2 x 3 1/2 and put a teneon on the 2x6 and screwed through the outside 2x4 into the tenon. From the in side I'm going to fill in between the tenon's with 2x4s. I'll try and get a few pics to explain it better.

Doug

i think i understand what you mean doug. that sounds quite strong actually. i was trying to think of a way to make those joints strong without a support somewhere at the top of the vertical pieces. i think you found a good way. do you plan to support the tops anyway? are they tall enough to support them and still get full sheets in there.

thanks for sharing. please post those pics anyway just in case i am imagining it wrong. which is possible.

thanks
chris

i think i understand what you mean doug. that sounds quite strong actually. i was trying to think of a way to make those joints strong without a support somewhere at the top of the vertical pieces. i think you found a good way. do you plan to support the tops anyway? are they tall enough to support them and still get full sheets in there.

thanks for sharing. please post those pics anyway just in case i am imagining it wrong. which is possible.

thanks
chris

Yea pics will probably explain it better. I wanted it so I wouldn't have to have any support at the top. After I fill in between the tenons I will put another continous piece to sandwich everything together. The supports are 6 feet tall and tapered so to full height sheets shouldn't touch back to back.

Doug