Blowed up REAL good.........

Stuart Ablett

I don't usually buy cheap tools anymore, but this drill from HF was so cheap, and Vaughn was nice enough to get one for me and ship it to me, I could not resist......... well, it is now dead.........

cheap_drill_dead1.JPG cheap_drill_dead2.JPG

All I've ever done with is was sand, and not "Hard" as that just wears out the sanding pads quickly. :dunno:

Bummer........ :doh:

Have to pay for a better one I guess, I see Klingspor has this one..........

SIOUX Right Angle Drill<- for $179, and they have the reconditioned ones for $114 :dunno:

Should be a better quality one than the HF unit.

You know I KNOW better too........ :bang:

Well dang. :( I'm real sorry to see it blew up already. Harbor Freight tools are fairly disposable, but one would hope to get more use than that. The Souix is supposed to be a good one, and the refurb price looks reasonable.

Mine HF drill has held up well so far, but I guess I won't be surprised if the smoke (or a pot metal gear) leaks out of it before too long. :doh:

Ouch! :eek: It's not so bad a HF tool blowing up but it helps to have one down the street to get your money back? :eek:

DT

They give a 30 day warranty on the reconditioned unit, but I wonder what the new units warranty is? :dunno:

Now I have used this drill for sanding on the lathe, so I've used it a fair bit, enough to NOT want to return to the regular style of drill, so I will be getting another right angle unit, just wondering what else is out there?:dunno:

The one reason to go with the Sioux unit is that I'm going to put another order into Klingspor, more sanding disks.

On a tangent, the Klingspor scalloped disks are lasting at least twice as long as the "Real Wave" discs, the hook and loop backing is much stronger and were a lot cheaper. I'm going to order some of the other grits, from them, so an order and a box will be coming from Klingspor, thus, I get the shipping in one shot.

Geez another good mark to Klingspor, they quoted $39.95 for shipping, but it was $36 actual charges, and that is what they charged! :thumb:

Don, yeah, I'd be willing to get a replacement for this unit if I could just go to HF and say "Look, it's broke, gimme another" but the shipping is not worth it. You play the game, you takes your chances :dunno:

Cheers!

Last edited:
...On a tangent, the Klingspor scalloped disks are lasting at least twice as long as the "Real Wave" discs, the hook and loop backing is much stronger and were a lot cheaper...
Good info to know. Thanks. I just got done stocking up on wave disks, but I'll look into the Klingspore version when the supply starts running low.

stu, if you can find a better deal on a milwaukee they`re run down the same line at sioux, just a different color case?

[edit].....check for dotco or cleco pneumatics too....you`ll never go back to electric!

stu, if you can find a better deal on a milwaukee they`re run down the same line at sioux, just a different color case?

[edit].....check for dotco or cleco pneumatics too....you`ll never go back to electric!

Yep, I know that is true Tod, but then I'll be shopping for a new compressor :D :wave:

Gosh, what a mess Stuart, I have such a thing, branchname Lesto (Swiss made) for more than 40 years, and still this thing works very well.
The branchname Lesto don't exsist anymore, I think they made it to well.

Stu do you have a Sears store over there I know I saw a Sears in either Italy or Spain when I was there in 1977. They have a nice Craftsman professional grade angle drill. I don't buy anything Sears unless it says professional. Even then its only the odd item like this. I had the chance to use a Sioux at one of the WW BBQ's & found it very uncomfortable after a short time using it because I don't have huge hands. The Sears angle drill is more comfortable for me to use.

Attachments

• angle.jpg
    angle.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 21
Nope, no Sears over here Bart.

I might not buy the Sioux, as I can get a Makita for nearly the same price here, and then I'd have local warranty, and it would be a Makita :D

Makita DA 3010F
makita_da3010f.jpg
List 29,000 yen ($261 US)
Street price 17,600 yen ($158 US)

I found a couple of the older ones on auction for $20 :dunno:

I also found the Hitachi D10YB
hitachi_d10yb.jpg
List 29,000 yen ($261 US)
Street 19,400 yen ($174 US)

So I'll most likely try to get one of the Makita drills.

Cheers!

Dust will kill any tool if it can get to the workings of the tool.

If you look at my busted drill, that gearbox thing was sealed up tight, no dust got in there, and the motor on these angle drills is down in the butt of the handle, so it is clean too :dunno:

I really think it was just a poor design, and poor quality steel.

I'm sure I'll not have the same problem with the Makita.

Cheers!

Geez, I just looked at Amazon and I think this might be a first..............

Makita DA3010F

......... it is more expensive in the US than Japan, on AMAZON!:eek:

$189 US vs $158 here in Japan, seriously, that has to be the first time I've ever seen that happen :type: good for me! :thumb:

Geez, I just looked at Amazon and I think this might be a first..............

Makita DA3010F

......... it is more expensive in the US than Japan, on AMAZON!:eek:

$189 US vs $158 here in Japan, seriously, that has to be the first time I've ever seen that happen :type: good for me! :thumb:

Most likely Stu, it's because the U.S. Dollar has been going down in value so rapidly for a while, and the Yen has been increasing in value. I have a feeling that if the trend continues our tool prices here in the States will be getting a LOT more expensive for a long time to come.