Rocking Horses (iron horses that is)

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I started building two of these Friday for my nephews that each just turned a year old. I'll be using my cnc router to cut out the engine panels. I cut out templates from hardboard, then used a router and a pattern bit to cut out all the basic parts, except for the wheels. I just cut them close and turned on the lathe. I still need to turn the detail on them, just turned them close to see if they would be big enough. I have to do some alignment on my new (to me) $50 Craftsman lathe to true up the tailstock to the headstock.

I used common 2 X 10's to build these. I noticed there are a couple of pieces that had some sap on them. What is a good way to deal with sealing the sap from oozing out of knots and such?

Attachments

• DSC00868.jpg
    DSC00868.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC00873.jpg
    DSC00873.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 100
Those will be great when you get them done, Darren. Cool idea. And I just might have to steal it. ;) Sorry, but I can't help you with the sap thing. CA may harden it up enough and help seal the weeping, but I really don't know.

Sap

I saw a post about heating the wood to about 200 degrees and cooking the moisture out of the sap. They recommended keeping a pan of water in the oven with the wood to replace any moisture lost from the wood itself. For me, this would work since the pieces with sap leaking are the wheels and are small enough to go in the oven.

May give it a try, but also considering just putting on 10" garden cart wheels from the home supply store (solid center, no spokes). Just wanted to pass the info along if anyone else is having issues with sap.

Looking cool, Darren. What are the rough dimensions? I gather the wheels are about 10". It's hard to tell the scale from the pics.

Looking cool, Darren. What are the rough dimensions? I gather the wheels are about 10". It's hard to tell the scale from the pics.

Thanks to all for the compliments.

The bike body is about 30" X 15" X 3"; Rails are about 42" X 9" X 1 1/2"; and the wheels are 3" X 9 1/2" but going to see if they have some at the tractor supply with a solid center (no spokes for little hands) as these are kinda heavy. Wondering if the bike isn't too wide, so may have to leave the seat trim off.

I found the plans (free) on this german site. I took the drawing into my glass software program (Glass Eye), overlayed lines on it, then exported to dxf and scaled.

I'll post the dxf files when I get time.

Last edited:
Had to order a new part for my lathe so going with a set of rubber wheels instead since I'm on a tight deadline. Started doing a mockup last night to see how well it balanced out, which turned out to be pretty good. I left about an inch of space on the platform to move the body forward if need be.

Attachments

• ABCD0002.jpg
    ABCD0002.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 18
  • ABCD0001.jpg
    ABCD0001.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 34
LOL, Thanks I'm keeping the templates handy also. Have had several people already ask for prices for building them for their kids. Been putting them off until the first one is done so I can see how it works out.

Oh yeah! I can see something like that going over real well in a Harley household. (Quite a few of them around this part of LA. The inflatable Santa on a Harley is a popular lawn decoration at Christmas around here.)

Looking great Darren. :clap:

Many of my grandkids are too old for a rockin' bike, but I still think they might get jealous when I deliver a few of these to thrie siblings. I can hear the little ones now... "Lookee, I gotta Harley just like granddad." And then the fight starts. But hey, that's their parent's problem, right?;) Oh, I'm such a trouble starter. :D

Hey, Darren, what format are those plans in? I want to make sure I have the right software. TIA!

Last edited:
I finished mockup today, then tore it down and rounded all the edges, then started final assembly. Still have a headlight to turn out and add some bracing under the platform to support the rockers.

Attachments

• DSC00907.jpg
    DSC00907.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC00906.jpg
    DSC00906.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC00904.jpg
    DSC00904.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC00903.jpg
    DSC00903.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC00899.jpg
    DSC00899.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 21
Got some paint slapped on. Front fender is red, tires are left black and white. Handle bars, rockers, and rest of the bike will be clear coated. Will have some chrome trim, gas cap or gauge on top of the tank and the spindle nuts/washers.

Attachments

• ABCD0004.jpg
    ABCD0004.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 19
Just about done...

Got the first one mostly done, still need to do a headlight or a cover in its place. I think I'm going to do a black/white police bike for the second one. Have until the end of January to get it done though.

Attachments

• DSC00915.jpg
    DSC00915.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC00918.jpg
    DSC00918.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC00919.jpg
    DSC00919.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 10