Who's turned pepper mills?

Ed Nelson

I am thinking of making a couple sets of salt and pepper mills for gifts, but have never tried one. I have a Jet midi lathe. Can I turn the 8" mills or will I have to go with 6". Any issues I need to look out for when I give them a try?

Thanks for any help and advice!

Hi Ed,

To answer your question, I have made several peppermills on my Jet 1014 mini. All of the mills that I have made have either been 6" or 10". There is plenty of room for the 10" and you could probably go a few inches bigger. Remember, you turn the mills in two pieces, so even on the 10" mill, you are probably only turning an 8" bottom section. I have a Jet 1220 also, and you could probably turn as tall as you wanted to on it. Good luck!

Robert

Not meaning to threadjack, but on a related note...how about one of you guys who've turned a pepper mill or three start a tutorial post with some pics of the steps involved? I'd like to try mills, but haven't actually seen the details (and tips) on making them.

Any volunteers?

Thanks for the info guys. Now, at least, I know it is possible with what I have!

Vaughn, no worries about thread jacking! I'm all for a tutorial!

Ed I have turned a pepper mill or two. Actually 3 sets. If I had it to do over again I would buy one brand of mill instead of two or three different ones.:dunno::dunno: Don't ask me why I did but not knowing I bought one from Rockler, one from Woodcraft and one from CSUSA. I bought one set and it took 4 different forsnter bits. Another took 3. I buy from CSUSA the deluxe ones on page 92 because they only take two bits and are easy to do. Your lathe should do fine. I just made a salt and pepper mill for the kids to match their salad bowl set that I just posted. I made them a salt mill also because they do use sea salt.

pepper mill

If you go to Nick Cook's web site, he has instructions for a pepper mill that was printed in one of the back issues of American Woodturner. I can't think clear enough now to post a link to his site. Beall also has an instruction book out on making them using sever different types of grinders. I made one for my niece for her graduation from chef school and it was fairly easy. The only thing is the forstner bit issue. The one I did called for a bit you couldn't find in a hardware store, had to be from a woodworking store such as the one who sold you the kit. Luckily at the time I had more money than common sense so I got the set in 1/16 steps.
Dale