Wood storage

Earlier this year I purchased over 2,000 bdft of hardwood rough sawn. I am in the stage of moving it from the tarped trailer to a building. I have cut all of my stickers but here is my dilemma. What is the best way to sticker/stack this wood so one or two species isn't buried/inaccessible. I am putting this in a 10'X16' building, doorway in the middle of the one 10' end. Boards are 8' to 10' long. I haven't come to a good solution so thought to put it out here. Am I explaining my problem well enough?

jonathan,

how bout a count on number of species and how much bdft of each...approx of course.

my initial thoughts are to do a stack on either side of the door going along the walls, then a 3rd stack perpendicular to those at the end. depending on how wide each stack needs to be you could probably stack multiple species in a stack.

let's say on the right side of the door you lay down your stickers, then you lay two boards of oak next to each other, two boards of walnut, two boards of ash (makin up species here) then you continue those three stacks vertically. that way you can always get to the tops of one of those 3 stacks.

i hope i understood your question correctly

chris

If you stack them 30" wide that would leave you room to have a walk way between the stacks and you could get two stacks on each side of the door. Then you still have room at one end for other things or a more stacks. How many different flavors of wood are there?

build a rack john!!!

take a look at what i did and its holdin up just fine its 8ft high and ten long and 12wide but you can make yours 10 wide just support the stringers with cripples.

Chris - here is the earlier this fall post about the load.

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5714

Looking over the old post here is the breakdown:
637 bdft of Beech
192 bdft of Cherry
624 bdft of Walnut
455 bdft of Hard Maple
293 bdft of Pine
157 bdft of Red Oak
assorted 4X4's and 2X4's of hardwood and pine.

2358 BF of rough sawn lumber at .25 a BF. :thumb:

Al - Basically 7 flavors. The above as well as some kiln dried/lumber yard lumber that I want to put all in one place. Understand, this isn't "green" lumber so the kiln won't be in a high moisture situation. I have another shed same size for "green" high moisture lumber.

Larry - I knew someone was going to tell me I needed to build something! The problem is, with racks (haven't looked at your thread yet) the doorway is in the middle and narrow.

If it were me, I would stack all the Beech next to one 16' wall toward the end opposite the end with the door, then the hard maple in a stack next to it , then the pine in a stack next to that. I would then stack all the walnut against the opposite 16' wall, then the cherry in a stack next to it, then the red oak in a stack next to it. This should give you plenty of room at the door end of the stacks and the tallest stack would be against the wall and then a shorter stack and next to the isle in the middle would be the shortest stack on each side. This would allow you easy access to all the wood and should make it easier to get the wood out when you needed it since you wouldn't have to be lifting a long board over a taller stack to get it to the door.

Maybe someone else has a better idea though.

norman has had to much time on his hands to be able to figure out the organization that well:D i agree with him though just the same no rack do it normans way:D:D:thumb:

My suppleir has baiscly shelfs set up. The bottom wood is just setting on pellets to keep it off the ground. Then there is a shelf that is about 4' off the ground where he stacks more wood on. The self is just 4x4 w/ 2x6 stringers. It is fairly simple and can allow more use of the limitesq footage.

norman has had to much time on his hands to be able to figure out the organization that well:D i agree with him though just the same no rack do it normans way:D:D:thumb:

Hey Larry, I've had past 'Sperience stackin' wood 'n things in tight spaces, ('n havin' ta get em back out agin), :D now if'n that 'Sperience would only flow over to arrangin' tha tools in tha shop....:rolleyes::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Heck, I get more 'Sperience unstackin' 'n restackin' lumber ever time I go to tha Big Box Store to try to find some "Semi-straight" framin' material fer ma shop.

Last edited:
You are going about this kind of wrong. I am not chastising you here, but rather trying to make you look at it from a different perspective.

Don't make the mistake of stacking your wood for convience, but rather stack it so you get more yield out of it. I could not help but notice that you have Beech in the mix. Its a great wood, but man oh man is that stuff hard to dry, either in a kiln or in a air dried situation. That HAS to go on the bottom. The Cherry, well that is more stable, put that on the top to hold down the Beech with can twist and flex like you would not believe.

The Oak is quite similar...that should go near the bottom too. Same with the walnut and rock maple. I know this is not really what you were looking for, but I think you will get more yield from what you bought if you use the weight of the pile to keep some of your wood in check. Yes pun intended)

Remember too, just because it is kiln dried that does not change the fact that wood is like a sponge and is now ABSORBING any and all moisture that is present. Stack your lumber like you are trying to air dry it and you won't have as much of an issue...or losses!!