Planer woes revisited

Billy Burt

Some of you may remember my 12 1/2" Delta planer eating the belt a few weeks ago. The lefthand thread nut holding the large drive pulley came loose. I put the new belt on and got one board planed. Went back out after dinner to find that the nut had come loose again. So I tried my version of Locktite... CA... and let it set for a few days. Nut cam loose again, but only about 1/4 turn. And that was just enough for the planer to clatter like crazy.:doh: So I've used a number of expletives concerning this indispensible tool of late. I fella at the shop I go to for the large thickness sander told me to try Teflon tape. He said that should keep the nut from coming loose. I tried it and it almost worked. But I got four boards planed before it came loose this time. I may be making progress. So I removed the nut and used about 7 wraps this time. Only planed two more boards tonight, but it seems to be holding. In the mean time, I'm keeping the side cover off for easier access. If it keeps coming loose, I guess I'll carry it to the service center. :dunno:

I think I would clean the nut and threads and use heavy strength Loctite thread locker. CA is not going to work.
It seems to me that one trip to the auto parts store for the Loctite would be a lot less frustrating than what you have gone through so far.

Billy Teflon tape is meant to make a good seal, not to keep things from rattling loose.

CA glue, will also not work, heat makes is go soft, and it is WAY too brittle for the job. What you want it Loctite thread lock, the BLUE stuff is what you want, don't use the Red stuff, unless you have to, as it is just about impossible to get off once it is tightened up. I've owned a lot of two-smoke motorbikes, and some large v-twins, and this stuff REALLY works, get it, put it on and your troubles will be over.

Cheers!

I second that emotion that CA is no good for your application and that Locktite is the answer, as it is an adhesive that cures in the absense of Oxygen where all others require oxygen to cure and the tight fitting threads seal ou the oxygen, etc.

But on another note, Why is the nut backing off? :huh: There is the problem. I don't know the whys and such, did you have to remove the nut to replace the belt? Did whats causing the nut to move what distroyed the belt? Does it require extreme torque to tighten and only "Factory Approved Service Personale" can provide? Was it Glued/Locktite at the factory? :dunno:

I second that emotion that CA is no good for your application and that Locktite is the answer, as it is an adhesive that cures in the absense of Oxygen where all others require oxygen to cure and the tight fitting threads seal ou the oxygen, etc.

But on another note, Why is the nut backing off? :huh: There is the problem. I don't know the whys and such, did you have to remove the nut to replace the belt? Did whats causing the nut to move what distroyed the belt? Does it require extreme torque to tighten and only "Factory Approved Service Personale" can provide? Was it Glued/Locktite at the factory? :dunno:

I have no idea why it came loose, but the nut coming loose is what ate the belt in the first place.