Using a 6" Jointer

Actually, with the planer/jointer fixture for the Tormek (or Jet - most Tormek jigs are usable on the Jet, I'm told) will do a better job than most sharpening services. Unless the blades are severely nicked, they can be sharpened in just a couple minutes each, and you'll be removing way less metal than the commercial services, so you'll get more sharpenings per blade.

Thanks Jim, I'll be on the lookout for a good price on this jig and trying to find out if it will fit my Jet. The Jet sharpener was more than this jointer, but I had a little extra play money at the time.

Looks like the jigs are typically $135. Thanks again for the heads-up.

Thanks Jim, I'll be on the lookout for a good price on this jig and trying to find out if it will fit my Jet. The Jet sharpener was more than this jointer, but I had a little extra play money at the time.

Looks like the jigs are typically $135. Thanks again for the heads-up.

Yeah, that's the price. Now before you leap, think about how much you'll be using this jointer. For that $135 jig, you could buy two new sets of blades, and have them sharpened twice each - for a total of six sets of edges. If your jointer usage will be infrequent, then that's several years worth of edges.

I only have my jig because I got a good deal on it, used. (Thanks, Charlie P.!) Otherwise, I'd still be sending my blades out.

I just picked up the Jointer. Sorry don't have picture ability right now. But you all know what they look like anyway, nothing different here. It is in very good shape though.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help and input deciding on this. But I got the jointer because the price seemed right and it is a start. I do need to get the two sets of blades sharpened and learn how to use it.

Now I'm in the market for an affordable bench-top planer.

I just picked up the Jointer. Sorry don't have picture ability right now. But you all know what they look like anyway, nothing different here. It is in very good shape though.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help and input deciding on this. But I got the jointer because the price seemed right and it is a start. I do need to get the two sets of blades sharpened and learn how to use it.

Now I'm in the market for an affordable bench-top planer.

Congrats Grant.

Congrats Grant, I'm sure glad that you got some great advice here.

Sounds like a great gloat, $225 is a great deal.

Take a good look at the blades, if they only need a touch up, you can make a simple jig out of wood and use the scary sharp method to touch them up, or a diamond stone on them to touch them up........

dizzy_jig.jpg

Like this.

Cheers!

Thanks! I think I see what's going on in that picture. When I click on the picture it opens another page and starts a download of the page itself as an attachment, not just the picture. So it is kind of small.

But it looks like you took a board and sawed two angled slots in it to hold the blades at the degree you want. Then I assume you are laying a long flat sharpening stone on both blades at the same time. My blades are not that dinged up and something like this might work great. I'll look for a post here that goes into this topic.