Assembling the New Toy

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
In case you missed it in my Shop Remodeling thread, Santa arrived a bit early at our place this year. A PM 3520b showed up in my driveway a couple of days ago, and I got it assembled last night. I figured I'd share how a guy with a wimpy back puts together a 630 pound lathe. Much of the credit for this goes to Ken Fitzgerald. Without his idea for using a ladder, I would have had to rent an engine hoist.

Lots o' pics, so I'll stop talking and let the pics to the work.

Here are the main two boxes. The little hole in the end of the box was the only shipping damage. A tiny scratch to the paint, in a non-noticeable place:

PM3520B - 01 800.jpg

First order of business was to get it out of the driveway and into the shop. Using a good ladder, a cheap comealong, some scrap lumber, webbing and chain, I had a poor man's hoist. You'll notice the spreader (scrap 4/4 redwood) I used to keep the chain from pinching the box.

PM3520B - 02 800.jpg

I got one end up high enough to get a furniture dolly under it to about the midpoint.

PM3520B - 03 800.jpg

No pics of lifting the other side, but since I had the dolly under the center of the pallet, I was able to level the pallet on the single dolly. It only took another light lift with the hoist to raise the end enough to slip another dolly under the pallet. From there, it was a pretty easy push into the shop:

PM3520B - 04 800.jpg

Everything was well-packed and secure. The two rectangular boxes in the upper part of the pic are the legs.

PM3520B - 05 800.jpg

After lifting one of the legs out of the box, I learned that there was no bottom to the cardboard box. The sides (and top) of the box lifted off easily, leaving this:

PM3520B - 06 800.jpg

I was planning to install heavy-duty casters (they arrived today, so they go on tonight, right after I post this), so I needed to drill out the holes in the feet a little bigger to accept the 12mm studs on the new wheels. Even though I didn't have the casters yet, I knew I wouldn't be able to drill the holes after assembling the lathe, so now was the time. The cast iron drilled relatively easy and quickly:

PM3520B - 07 800.jpg

Next, I moved the hoisting rig into the shop and set up to lift the first end of the lathe bed.

PM3520B - 08 800.jpg

After I relieved the weight from the heavy end, I was able to dead lift the unattached end and push the pallet (still on the dollies) out of the way. I set the loose end down on a spare piece of cardboard just to save the floor paint. I started noticing the ladder wanting to tip towards the lathe a bit, so I set the 82 pound extension bed box on one of the ladder outriggers. That firmed things up nicely.

PM3520B - 09 800.jpg

Without too much trouble, I bolted the first set of legs onto the bed. You'll notice I'm using the feet that came with the lathe. They have a slippery nylon pad on the bottom, and I figured they'd protect the floor until I can get the casters on. After the first set of legs was attached, I moved the hoist to the other end. Here's a shot of things before I lifted the second end:

PM3520B - 10 800.jpg

More pics, but not enough space...to be continued...

Vaughn.....that's exactly how I assembled mine. It worked well!

I'm going to do the same thing for the MM-16 as I could not rent an engine hoist tall enough to get it off the pallets but my ladder is tall enough!

But Wait...There's More

After getting the second set of legs on, next up was the extension bed. I'm opting (for now) to put it in the lower position. The empty box that it came in was almost exactly the right height for installing it. Much easier than I'd anticipated:

PM3520B - 11 800.jpg

And here's how it looks with the extension bolted on:

PM3520B - 12 800.jpg

Here's the business end when it's set up in bowl-making mode:

PM3520B - 14 800.jpg

For reverence, that's a 24 inch rule. It's about 19 inches from the bed to the spindle:

PM3520B - 13 800.jpg

So...that's how a lame longhair assembles a heavy lathe by himself.

PM3520B - 15 800.jpg

I'm still waiting for the electrician to get my garage subpanel installed, so it's going to be a little while before I can get it dirty, but as soon as the power's on it, I'm gonna get it all messy.

To round out the gloat, I either have coming soon, or recently got:

Gast vacuum pump
Vacuum adaptor
Vacuum gauge and necessary fittings for a constant-run system
Supernova 2 chuck with 50mm, 45mm spigot, and Super Jaw sets
1 1/4" x 8 tpi buffing adaptor
1 1/4" x 8 tpi spindle tap
1 1/4" x 8 tpi tailstock chuck adaptor
1 1/4" x 8 tpi faceplates (two 2 1/2" plates from Don Pencil)
Remote On-Off switch
Monster Articulating Arm Hollower

I figured I'd equip it well from the start. Now I need to save up for a coring rig. ;)

Vaughn.....that's exactly how I assembled mine. It worked well!

I'm going to do the same thing for the MM-16 as I could not rent an engine hoist tall enough to get it off the pallets but my ladder is tall enough!
As I said, I totally stole the idea from you. Many thanks. :thumb:

Now hurry up and get yours dirty. You don't want me to beat you in the race, do you? :p Sparky is starting Monday with the electrical work. ;)

Vaughn congrats on the new lathe. That is one good looking machine. I am happy for ya buddy. Merry Christmas early. Have fun.

I am hoping Santa will be good to me. I would like to add a extension to the Nova so I can use the monster tool on it, get rid of the C-man and I am thinking real seriously of adding a Vega 2600 to the stable. That is if Mrs. Santa is in agreement.:rolleyes:;):D

Last edited:
SWEET! Welcome to club Mustard, Vaughn. :thumb: Hhmmm, strange coincidence. The lathe I had just before I got mine was a 15" Craftsman. :rolleyes:

For reverence, that's a 24 inch rule. It's about 19 inches from the bed to the spindle:

I'd say that's appropriate.:rofl:

BTW, I am a bit jealous. Mine didn't come with the bed extension, tool rest extension and bowl rest, but I'll get them when needed. I need a bigger shop first though.;)

So where are the sawdust pics already? Dude, you are gonna LOVE that lathe!

I'd say that's appropriate.:rofl:...
I would usually go back and edit a typo, but that one's too Freudian...I've gotta leave it. :D

I didn't know you were a fellow member of the Craftsman lathe club. Despite my cursing it from time to time, it served me well, and some nice pieces were made with it.

I was seriously tempted to chuck up a dried rough-out, sprinkle the area liberally with chips out of the dust collector, and take a picture to make Fitz squirm, but I figured that'd be mean. Fun, but mean. :p

High on mustard!!!!!

Man I ready wheres the hot dogs & buns?

Oh I thought someone spilled the mustard.

It'll be looking better Vaughn when we see it spinning & chips flying.

Good better best never let it rest until it spinnin with chips bouncing off your chest. :D:D

Just be sure to get out the ribbons for the long haired dude.:eek: Just don't tie the ribbon to tight or your voice will get high too.:rofl::rofl:

Sheesh, and I thought you said you didn't make any money at that Arts & Craft Show.:rolleyes: NOW I see the reason for the shop upgrade to Palatial "STUDIO" Status. .:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Fine looking piece of machinery you got there. I think I should have bought some PM stock a while back they way all you guys are buying up those Mustard Colored Spinny Things, but I guess ya'll are just trying to stay a step ahead of Stu.:rolleyes: I can't wait to see what he comes up with though when he gets tired of ya'll showing off and decides to build his own. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Heck with the diameter of stuff you can spin with that thing, I guess you'll be makin' them High Dollar custom Sinks next.:thumb:

Yeah, I've been SERIOUSLY thinking about it Norman :D

I've wanted a OneWay in a BAD way for way too long, but to get one here, WOW, they cost REAL money, and EVERYONE in my turning club, well 11 or 12 out of 14 members at the last meeting have the Vicmarc VL300 shortbed, so you KNOW I'm not getting one of them (it IS a nice machine, but why go with the herd?)........so my only real options will be a Dungeon made lathe :D

I think to do it right, I should buy a used tail stock and then maybe a spindle or something with the MT#2 on in it, and a regular thread on it, but from there, the sky is the limit !

I've even had some ideas of ditching the bed of the DVR and making a new one, better stronger, more swing, and WAY more stout too.

I have seriously seen the DVR "Flex" when under full load from an out of round BIG blank, I think I could build a base for the DVR headstock that would get rid of that "Flex" :rolleyes: :D

Aw well, got to day dream some more.... ;) :D

Congratulations Vaughn

Thanks for the pics, not to hijack your thread but I plan on doing the same thing tomorrow morning. I was considering lifting one end of the bed like you. Any idea how much the bed and the head weighs together.

I need to go from my garage, around back to my basement shop and go down 6 cement steps. I plan on using a appliance hand truck.

Congrats Vaughn, I'm sure you will like. I was a bit envious of the high ceiling remembering the difficulties I had. I'm not sure I understand the low bed extension thingy but am sure you will show how it's used later.

Yeah, I've been SERIOUSLY thinking about it Norman :D

I've wanted a OneWay in a BAD way for way too long, but to get one here, WOW, they cost REAL money, and EVERYONE in my turning club, well 11 or 12 out of 14 members at the last meeting have the Vicmarc VL300 shortbed, so you KNOW I'm not getting one of them (it IS a nice machine, but why go with the herd?)........so my only real options will be a Dungeon made lathe :D

I think to do it right, I should buy a used tail stock and then maybe a spindle or something with the MT#2 on in it, and a regular thread on it, but from there, the sky is the limit !

I've even had some ideas of ditching the bed of the DVR and making a new one, better stronger, more swing, and WAY more stout too.

I have seriously seen the DVR "Flex" when under full load from an out of round BIG blank, I think I could build a base for the DVR headstock that would get rid of that "Flex" :rolleyes: :D

[[[[[I'm sure you could, maybe using the general idea of the oneway's bed.]]]]

Aw well, got to day dream some more.... ;) :D

Maybe you could even find a heavy "Metal Lathe" that had been scrapped and steal the bed from it and make a heavy metal block to adape it to the headstock (and tailstock if desired) and fit onto that lathe bed that would raise the spindle high enough to give you the turning radius you wanted.:dunno: (I did see a post a while back where a fellow had made a "Lift Block like that for an old lathe he had). (Uh Oh, here goes that crazy mind of mine acting like it's been injected with strange afterburner chemicals or something again).:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited: