Segmented vase

This is a segmented vase that I did a while back that had an accident. The LOML knocked it off of a table and chipped the base and put a small knick in the side. I figured out a way to re-turn the bottom by cutting a piece of wood down to a taper, inserting it into the mouth of the vase and then using the steady rest to hold it onto the taper. I then used the tail stock to hold the vase up against the taper and re-turned the middle. It actually worked out fairly well. Then it was just a matter of sanding and finishing.

7" high, 30 pieces of walnut and 30 pieces of maple, Waterlox original finish.
All 3 photos are of the same piece from different view points. It seems to change color due to the vase having end grain on two sides.

Attachments

• Image00004.jpg
    Image00004.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Image00005.jpg
    Image00005.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Image00006.jpg
    Image00006.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 19
Robert, my very big compliments, you did a great job, what a stunning piece of segmented turning, very very well done.
Don't see anything of that accident, so I think your lovely wife is really glad.
Every segment fits perfect, I love the round decoration.
Doing segmented turnings is one of my favorites, I know that this is time consuming work, you have to be very patient too.
Keep up your very good work.

Ad :thumb:

Boy Robert, I can see why you went to the trouble of saving that one, really nice!

Does the pattern bother you while you are turning?

Give you any 60s flashbacks :eek:

Thanks for sharing, and GREAT save! :clap:

Great job, Robert. :thumb: I like the checkered pattern. Can't help but wonder how many cutting boards gave their lives for that vase. :p