Kayak planning

Jeff Horton

I have decided on which kayak(s) I am going to build. Going to build it as a hybrid. Plywood hull and then build a strip deck. Here is photo of another builders Cormorant. Same boat I am going to build.

d17a.jpg

I have started to work on ideas for the deck. Here area a few I came up with last night. You can ignore the colors. They are just something to look at.

This one is a given. It is what Nick' wants for her boat. The dark lines will actually be a white wood. Popular, maple, or pine probably. Strips will be 3/4" wide more or less. The light strips will be 1/8" more or less wide. The idea is to mimic the caulk lines on a Chris Craft wooden boat.

nicks_boat.jpg

This is what I had in mine for my boat too but when she saw one with something similar it was like THATS IT. And she described what she wanted. So.............

These are just some ideas I am tossing around for my boat. Nothing really jumps out at me yet.

idea1.jpg idea2.jpg idea3.jpg

I guess I am leaning more toward the ones on the right side. The colors I used are ugly in the drawings. But the idea is light wood and much darker wood. I have seen something similar and it nice looking. But still tossing around ideas.

I may end making mine and hers just alike. I really like the stripped deck idea. It's funny we would both have the same idea!

Last edited:
Tossing around another version. At the moment I an leaning toward this design. Still like the Nicki's idea best. I know this is hard to picture, but I can see it.

kayak.jpg

Using two contrasting woods and he strips would run in two different directions. Should make it really stand out.

Drew, I am farmiliar with the web site and boats. I have looked at theirs and about everyone else's on the web. I have looked till I am overloaded with information to be honest. :eek:

I may be changing my mind. I found another boat that I like a lot and I am leaning toward this one. He has options for several different lengths too.

pbquartR.jpg

pbsideR.jpg

pbtopR.jpg

Point Bennett Sea Kayak. Plans are on the web compliments of the designer. Well, it's not so much plans as it is just offsets. But thats I all I need to build one.

I will convert it to a strip deck. Otherwise I really like the looks of this boat.

The search goes on a new path

Just thought for completeness I would update this. I have been looking, reading, getting confused and frustrated trying to settle on a boat design. I found one, a Cape Charles, I liked overall. But it had a one big problem. The deck was a bit high. People that owned it talked about banging their knuckles on deck and said if they built another they would lower the deck some.

I could change the design by eye but there was always a risk doing it that way that it wouldn't come out the way I had in mind. I asked about boat design software so I could input the existing design and then adjust the deck. I found a couple and started the learning curve on that. Finally was able to input the design or very close to it. then started to make my change.

Well you probably guessed that it was hard to JUST change the deck height. While I as at it decided to add a bit of Greenland up sweep to the deck. Well that lead to another change and another change.... Then I decided to try a totally new design in the software...... So it goes!

CCkayak.jpg
This is the modified version of the Cape Charles. Underwater is pretty much the same. Just totally new above that water. :eek: And I don't show a deck on there. Still learning how to use the software.

greenlkayak.jpg
New boat. They look very similar but they are different boats. Took a stab at adding a deck to it. Lets just say I still have some work do in that area.

I agree Ed. I was thinking that the sheer was to low on the first one. But after looking at the two together I see there is more than that wrong. The bow is not in proportion with the sheer. I have to measure some boats to determine some key dimensions. Then I can tweak the lines some.

But the second one is a much better as it is now.

Man, I have never had such a time making up my mind on anything. Just to many options! Found some more software. This is for strip construction, not plywood hulls. But it is some amazing software!

Tell me what you think Ed. I love the lines. Just not sure I want to start a strip boat yet. But I am tempted by this one.

wren2.png