Big Bonker!!

Very cool. I recall seeing pics of it before, but not the progress shots. I also like his unpacking instructions for another one of his pieces. Pretty well-engineered crate.

Other than being big, I don't see anything noteworthy about it. The write up that declares this to be art is done very well. As a writer, I admire the authors ability to make the mundane seem special to those with big check books. :rolleyes: It is something anyone here could do with a big-big lathe and a big-big log. And, I believe most of us could do it in well under seven years.

Ah, but would any of us make such an object? That must be what makes it so special ... or did I just do the devil's advocate's advocate thing backwards? :huh:

Bottom line - I tend to agree with ya Frank ... I think. :huh:

Last edited:
Other than being big, I don't see anything noteworthy about it. The write up that declares this to be art is done very well. As a writer, I admire the authors ability to make the mundane seem special to those with big check books. :rolleyes:

Getting the right picture/piece and words in front of the right people is all it takes to make something expensive...sometimes...to me, art can be anything you want...:rolleyes:...what people will pay for something is another thing all together.:p

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the good fortune of being able to attend the CWA show in Chicago when that piece was on display. It really is an amazing work, considering the sheer size of it. There were many, many fine examples of work from some of the world's foremost turners, along with other art work. To be able to turn something on this scale is a different game altogether than what we are accustomed to, and I take my hat off to Mark for being up to the challenge. (It really was cool to see it in person......it's REALLY big!)

I don't pretend to be an expert in art.:) And I certainly don't have a lathe that could be used to turn something that big. But if I read it correctly: "Begun in 1989, the mallet nears completion in 2006", that's seventeen years.:eek::eek: Why would it take that long and why would you leave your lathe tied up that long? Wow, the guy has a just a bit more patience than me!!:rofl:

I saw a lathe just like the one being used, it was at our government surplus sale here in Victoria. The lathe sold in auction for $600,00. No I didn't put a bid in on it. You need one big mother of a shop to house such a monster. Hmmm Like stu's dungeon ! :eek: I was wondering what someone would make with it and I guess this is the answer. Very impressive work turning that thing. Try using the beden on that one stu. :rofl::rofl::rofl: Thanks for sharing.

Drew

I don't pretend to be an expert in art.:) And I certainly don't have a lathe that could be used to turn something that big. But if I read it correctly: "Begun in 1989, the mallet nears completion in 2006", that's seventeen years.:eek::eek: Why would it take that long and why would you leave your lathe tied up that long? Wow, the guy has a just a bit more patience than me!!:rofl:

I can write. I didn't say I could count. :eek:

I think we can all agree that given the tools, given the time, given the wood we could do it too. Seems to me the guy who does it first will be plagarized by the reproductions. Credit to the author and to each of you with your own creation. :D
Shaz :)