What is the exact use of a bullnose plane?

Hi there.

Before deepening in woodwoorking techniques/tools I’ve never heard/known about bullnose planes.

As stated in the question I can only presume its use in already assembled pieces that need to be adjusted by planing and the fact that the nose of the plane is so short allows to plan a rebate almost to the corner on a door frame for instance.

Any other use different than this that you may know and want to share??

Or am I completely wrong in my pressumtion?
Thanks in advance.

PS Do you have/used one ever?

Only time I have ever needed one was a blind dado or rabbit. I don't have one but I would like one. It's just not needed very often. I just make do with a chisel.

Smooth off a bulls nose......:rofl:

Actually anywhere you can't reach the material because you bump into an obstruction. ie., bottom of a rebate or intersecting joint.

They can be used in place of a shoulder plane if you don't have one. I don't. Most bull nose planes have a removable nose piece that allows them to act as chisel planes as well. Cleaning up stopped areas, trimming tenons to fit, etc. The downside is the short nose area. For things like shaving down proud dovetail 'fingers' there is not much to rest on the case as a guide. As I can't afford both, I believe I will go with the Veritas bull nose instead of a shoulder plane AND a chisel plane.

toni,
i have a few.....stanleys and records, i use a rabbit plane more but if you have the option of something along the lines of a record 311 you`ll have a shoulder plane that can be converted into a bullnose or chisel plane.
the stanley 92-93 & 94`s can be used a a chisel plane and as rabbits...
be carefull, planes are like crack cocaine, once you get a few you`ll never have enough;)

MVC-636S.JPG

toni,
be carefull, planes are like crack cocaine, once you get a few you`ll never have enough;)

View attachment 15222

You're dammed right Tod.! ( my apologies for the expression) Planes are really addictive, actually I have to restrain myself in bidding for almost everyone I see on Ebay, I like bringing them back to life if they are used ones.

And the more pityfull they are the more challenging it is for me. As my budget is tight on tools I'm not buying any more for the moment.

So far I have a bedrock 605C and a 607, a 113 pending restoration, a bailey
603 (also pending) and 604.

Three japanese ones and some wooden ones that I've either inherited or been given.

The drawback is that if I restore planes I don't do woodwork and that is my main goal for the time being.