Stem ware hanging rack

Jeff Horton

Anyone have an idea on the dimensions for the opening for glass rack? Building my sister a wine cabinet and I was just going to buy he wire racks to hang stemware on but decided to just make them. Looking for the opening size for glasses. I have a some I can measure but someone may knows off hand is there is a standard size?

Anyone have an idea on the dimensions for the opening for glass rack? Building my sister a wine cabinet and I was just going to buy he wire racks to hang stemware on but decided to just make them. Looking for the opening size for glasses. I have a some I can measure but someone may knows off hand is there is a standard size?
Hi Jeff,
I use to do a lot more of the hanging glass racks than I do now with the entertainment centers but some how the name Entertainment center would still work.:D
As I recall I was looking for a standard until I did a Pasta bar with three size pilsner glasses. :eek: Some companies seem to go toward avoiding the standard so measure what you have and wing it.
My recommendation is as you are considering, measure the stem, the foot and consider the girth ( such as the brandy snifters). As I recall a 1x4 on either side with a space of about 1" worked, widen the entrance ever so gently, round over the top edge, add a stop to the back and call me in the morning!:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Shaz

[size=+1]When I made mine - about ten years ago - I spaced the holders 1" apart.

As an additional piece of info: I made the rack pieces using my raised panel bit. I used a piece of stock about 4" wide, and used the panel raiser on both edges Then, using a spacer to get the proper height, I screwed the pieces to the underside of the top shelf. For the left & right ends, I ripped a piece down the center.

The four inch pieces, with the one inch spacing, accepts both red and white wine glasses well. Wider glasses - like Margarita glasses - would require putting the racks further apart - maybe using 5" stock for the racks.

Hope this helps.[/size]

Thanks guys, that at least gives me something to go on. This is a gift for my sister (the Chef) and she is Houston. So I can't measure her glasses unfortunately.

Jim, I was thinking about using one of raised panel (more or less) blades on the shaper to cut the relief. I have one is basically flat cut with a big radius on the end. Then another straight cutter at a slight angle. I was thinking that these would make a nice looking cutout. Better than just a square dado cut.

I will measure the space I have and see if I can't work something out at about 5" wide just in case. Considering what a walnut wine cabinet would cost her I doubt she is going to complain to me if some of her glassed don't fit. :D

Two key numbers.... the width of the board is the diameter of the largest glass. The builder in our house used 5 inch boards, and none of the glasses are close to 5 inches in diameter, so we have a ton of wasted space. If I were redoing it, I would use 4 inch boards - if there are a few glasses at or larger than 4 inches, just put narrow glasses in alternate rows.

The other key number is the space between the boards. The builder did 2 inches at our house, and I hate to admit the number of glasses I broke trying to make them stay in a rack with a 2 inch slot. I have since put in fillers (ugly), leaving a 1 inch gap, and all glasses fit, and none have fallen through.

I occasionally do work (doors and columns) for someone who builds wine cellars. The "standard" is a sloping cut done on the table saw, but I have done some for him using a panel raising cutter, which looks a lot nicer. Scary though, since you are cutting 40% or more off of each side of the board.