More Christmas boards

Billy Burt

After I got the last ones finished, LOML said, "You know the boys will be jealous if you don't make them one." And I had asked her before hand if I should. Her reponse was, "I don't think they'd be interested in anything like that." :doh: Oh well, that's the way it goes sometimes. But I got them done in time so all is good. The larger board measures 11 3/4" x 17 3/8" and they are all 1 1/4" thick. The larger board was a special order from a customer after seeing the first four. And she wanted feet on the bottom so I turned six 2" diameter feet for it. It is all Oak. These others are just Cherry, Maple and Walnut. You know, once you make a few of these you get a bit faster... and better.;) Like anything else, I guess. Now I can relax for a few days before I drive down to San Antonio next week.

Attachments

• cutting_boards3.jpg
    cutting_boards3.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 92
Great boards, Billy. I like the looks of the oak one the best. The apparent random-ness of the pattern is great. I suspect all of them will be used for a long time.

Very nice. What kind of glue do you use? You are getting me inspired. I may make a couple my self this weekend.

Tom....

Very nice. What kind of glue do you use? You are getting me inspired. I may make a couple my self this weekend.

Tom....
Tom, I figured I'd toss in my 2 cents on the glue...

I've made and sold a lot of cutting boards with Titebond II, and it works great. (I tried Titebond III a few times, and didn't like the short working time it seemed to have. I was doing glue-ups with quite a few pieces.) I've also made some with plastic resin glue (DAP Weldwood), and the plastic resin is what I use when I want to build the best. Especially on end grain boards, I've seen Titebond II creep slightly over time (in some cases, just a few days). The plastic resin glue, though, does not move at all.

Although you didn't mention it or ask, I've also read lots of debates about alleged food-safe glues. Personally, I don't worry about it. In my opinion, if you're getting glue in your food from a cutting board, you need to ease up on the knife a bit. ;) I've yet to see any evidence indicating a person can ingest anything approaching significant levels of glue from a cutting board (or wood, for that matter).

I've been wanting to try plastic resin glue, Vaughn, I just haven't really looked for it yet. FWIW, I did not use Titebond III on these boards. I used Elmer's Waterproof Wood Glue, but as many bottles as I've gone through it'd have been cheaper to buy larger bottles of TB III. I will say that I was quite happy with the working time of this glue. It seemed to be about the same as TB II and I could remove the clamps in an hour (the bottle says 30 mins, but I gave it extra JIC). No creep on any of them yet. Some time back I switched from TB I to TB II b/c of glue creep and haven't really experienced any creep w/it... I guess I should add "yet".;)

Ok, my father-in-law made one for my wife and it's getting dried out and wanted to make sure it got sealed again.

Thanks
I'll second the vote for mineral oil. Great stuff for a cutting board. When I was making a lot of cutting boards, I never found a handy bulk supplier, so I'd catch it on sale at the supermarket or drug store. I used to get funny looks buying six to ten bottles of mineral oil at the same time. I could tell the clerk was thinking "Just what does this guy eat that he needs this much laxative?" :eek: