Sat on a Stump Today

It was just one of those days...

I got a lot done around the house today as we are moving in to our new addition starting tonight, but one of the many things on my list to do was get a Christmas Tree. This is a stealth gloat I suppose but one of the joys of land ownership is being able to go out into your own woodlot and cutting down your Christmas tree. Now granted they are the Charlie Brown trees as this is the land of Firs and Spruces and they are grown by nature and not pruned by man, but in the overall scheme of things, a nature made, Christmas tree grown on your own land has its own beauty really.

Anyway I found a tree, that as always, looks good from a distance but you never can really tell how good they look shape wise until they are in your living room. Anyway I cut it down with my small hand saw and started to drag it out to my snowmobile. It was a bit big, and this year the snow is deep so I got winded quick, so anyway I sat down on a stump to catch my breath. And you know what, this is what I saw.

I saw the most beautiful sight. There was 2 feet of snow in a patch of woods that has just been lightly harvested. Just enough big trees and small trees to know that this was no park, but a real forest. A forest with two feet of sparkling snow, with snow blistering the north sides of the firs and spruces, and the west sides of them all lit up from the orange sunset starting to happen in the western sky. I also saw a porcupine wallowing along in the snow; harmless creatures, it did not scare me. But I also saw human tracks in the snow, and somewhere between the cold temperature, the smell of freshly cut white fir and the sound of the wind blowing through the treetops I came to a conclussion.

I aint leaving!

This land has been in my family since 1752 when the King of England granted it to my Great Grandfather for his heroics in the French and Indian War. Through the ages my Grandfathers have cut this very acre of forest with axe and crosscut saw. Granted their saws were bigger, the trees were huge and they were not cutting a Christmas tree, and their two horspower rig was exactly that, two horspower called Luke and Duke and not some 120 horspower snowmobile made in Japan. But still they two were here, right where I am now.

Not the land or the woods mind you, but in a hard spot. I know they did not have the internet or the social circles we have in this modern day, but I bet they were tempted by some fair looking women and had the same marriage problems and womenly temptations that I am facing.

They did not leave and neither am I. Patty and I will face this, work with each other and stay married so that someday Alyson can send her husband out to this very are and cut down their christmas tree. Maybe they will be using nuclear powered snow scoots to pull the tree out instead of a snowmobile, and they may be using amonium nitrate glycol to heat their home, but this woodlot, this farm, this beautiful patch of woods will be here for them just the same.

Nope I ain't leaving guys. I am home.

Seems kind of simple really, and maybe I owe you all an apology for saying how glum I have been feeling lately. But no matter how pretty Gabby is, no matter how smart and tempting she is, I'm going to have to pass. I'll work things out with Patty, somehow, someway, someday. Still you find out who your friends are when you are down in the dumps. I'll say this, I am pleased to be a member of the familywoodworking, and really pleased people like Bill are on here. I have been emailing him over the past few weeks privately and must say, he is truly a great guy and great friend. (Thanks Bill)

Anyway, if you have read this thread thus far, you are probably wondering where the pictures are. To be truthful, i took a bunch of pictures, but I'm not going to post them. Nope, I'll leave it up to your imaginations. A picture would not do it justice anyway. I was a wonderful moment, a beautiful moment, that no picyture or words could ever do it justice. Just trust me on this, you had to be there!

Who knows, maybe if more married couples took the time to sit down on a stump and got a chance to see things really clearly, the divorce rate would not be so high.

Anyway, if you have read this thread thus far, you are probably wondering where the pictures are. To be truthful, i took a bunch of pictures, but I'm not going to post them. Nope, I'll leave it up to your imaginations. A picture would not do it justice anyway. I was a wonderful moment, a beautiful moment, that no picyture or words could ever do it justice. Just trust me on this, you had to be there!

Who knows, maybe if more married couples took the time to sit down on a stump and got a chance to see things really clearly, the divorce rate would not be so high.

Each of us might picture it differently, but we are all glad you posted the story. Glad to here things are looking up for you. :thumb::)

My wife works with needy children, her stories of the kids lives (sometimes horrilbe) keep us grounded/thankful and make us see things real clear. Thanks again for reminding me of this.

Travis, what a great post. I am a very visual person and saw everything you descirbed in all its beauty. Yes, it was through my mind's eye, but I have a pretty good imagination. And I'm happy for you in more ways than one. And I'm even a little envious. Both our families have been here since before the Revolution, but you still have the land to show for it. We don't... at least not this fork. We've been rather migratory, if you know what I mean. ;) So good for you, my friend, good for you! Anything worth having is worth fighting for.:thumb:

Yeah I forgot to put Merry Christmas everyone at the end of my post. Oh well, better late then never.

Merry Christmas everyone!

glad to hear travis,, and i bet that i have very good idea of what you saw in the snow there on that stump, see those tracks you saw were mine in a differnt woods, and you do have a very good picture of who bill is.. thanks bill fr helping travis out. sometime we need to meet travis.

Congatulations Travis. That is fantastic news to hear. Hope that you and your family have the best christmas ever. Sounds like you are starting of on the right foot. Ok just don't fall off the roof when you are up there cleaning all the deer crap off the roof after the reindeer visit. :rofl:

Merry haha:rofl::rofl:

Best wishes from my family to yours.

Drew

Sometimes it takes an old stump to make the most important decisions. Glad to hear the decision you made! I truly hope you can look back on this day, 30 or 40 years from now, and be glad that you made the right decision!

Merry Christmas to you too!

Travis I have been following your other post but never chimed in. I too had some problems and thoughts of leaving but didn't. We have had some trying times with the marriage and with the kids. We are now grandparents and the thought now of leaving and not seeing my granddoughters would be too much for me. I think you say this also when your grandchilden arrive. I know that that is going to be awhile but still it will come back to you when it happens. Have a great Christmas and make it a happy year.

Travis, I'm another who followed but didn't chime in on the original post. That post saddened me, but this post brightened my day, and answered the prayers I had offered for your situation.
Remember that stump. There will be more trying times ahead, more temptations. There always are in life. When they happen, find that stump and sit for a while. Remember your friends, especially those that have the gift to help you see clearer, and get back to the frame of mind you are in now. God bless you brother! Have a Merry Christmas! Jim.

Travis,

I guess I was one of the silent majority who posted nothing, but sent silent positive thoughts your way. I'm a heathen, but in my own way I said some prayers for a good result to come from your soul searching. From what you've posted now, I'd say that you're pretty much squared away - well done!!!

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

John (who's sat on a stump of his own a couple of times...)

Travis,

I've been away for a while, but came back today to read your post.

Not sure of the back story, but it sounds like you have made a good decision.

It takes a lot of work to keep a good marriage, but it's worth it, IMHO.

Good luck to you and your family, (and I wish I had some land with the history that you have!)

Martin