A home theater

These projects can be such fun if you work with the right people.
It is my job to take the rendition from the decorator/designer, provide a few samples of the details for preference and approval, then build it to serve the purpose for which it was intended. In this case it is a home theater in a room about 20'x20' on the 3rd floor. The walls come up vertically to about 93" then go up from there to create a mansard ceiling.
It has been in the works for about 3 months or so but only just lately have I started cutting any wood.

:doh: Oh no...

Shaz, are you gonna lead us down another...tune in tomorrow...adventure?

:rofl:

I'm sure it will be well worth checking in everyday to see another fabulous project.

:lurk:

:doh: Oh no... Oh Yes!:D

Shaz, are you gonna lead us down another...tune in tomorrow...adventure? You Got it!!!!!:rolleyes:

:rofl:

I'm sure it will be well worth checking in everyday to see another fabulous project. You are too kind with your words, but thank you Greg!:eek: ( Now It has to work out! :doh:)

:lurk:

Well, since I have just started this thing and my memory often allows me to forget the way I have done something before, it will be important for me to try to keep you abreast of this thing as it progresses, in order that it will at least seem like I am doing the work. I have one fellow who helps me part time because he enjoys the work.
It was designed by an interior design group of gals with very strong credentials for high end work. Hopefully I won't ruin that! :rolleyes:
Shaz :)

OK Robert

I'll pop-in every day to see the progress....20'...even in Metric it's sounds big :)

You know what we say here about designers...

"They don't have to live with their creation"....that's why my wife is designing her furniture

Regards
niki

Hi Ed and Niki :wave:,
Thanks for stopping by. The project is a nice one, one I am sure you all could do given the right circumstances. However, since you guys are not here I will have to do this one for you, vicariously. :)
Here are two renditions of the theater, obviously the marked up one on top is the first version. Mind you this is the front wall.
plans.jpg
If the plans seem fuzzy to you don't worry, they are fuzzy to me too!:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Shaz:)

Looks like a fun project! Are the panels on the sides and bottom speakers? I'm looking forward to vicariously helping you!:laugh2:
Thanks Ed :wave:, welcome aboard. Well, partner :D, this is what we've got...
Scan0003 (600 x 365).jpg

As you can see there is a center channel speaker in the center under the screen. It will be behind a clip on panel.There will be a door to the left and to the right of that and then a short column which we have had approved and finished the roughcut of the parts.
plinth.jpg
column on plinth.jpg.
Then moving outward we have two more doors and another column, then a small strip about 1 1/2" wide and then a full height cabinet in which the left and right channel speakers will be housed ( on the bottom ) with storage on the top.
Finally:doh: the farthest cabinets from center which will finish off the remaining space to the wall, storage above and below. Decorator asked me to cover all the doors and panels across the wall with acoustical cloth. Total -15 inset cloth covered panels:eek:. But but but ! :doh:

Attachments

• Gibbs 12-07 016.jpg
    Gibbs 12-07 016.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 89
  • plans.jpg
    plans.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
That is some project Shaz!! Keep us advised on your progress, please.
Hi Joe :wave:,
I will try to but I am unable to keep up with Marty's endurance both on the job and on the computer updates. Bear with me.:)
Fortunately the decorators were okay with my using the same molding head for the columns and the base.
base and column knife.jpg
Since the front is rounded at about a 56' radius I needed to bevel the plinth and the column at 5 degrees + or -. Here is a test on the columns.
column test.jpg 5 degreecolumn.jpg
And then when satisfied with the practice piece ( when doing this kind of stuff, make sure you have enough stock extra of the exact same dimension to test each phase to completion, as it occurs), it's time to run the real pieces through.
molding column.jpgfinishing the column.jpg
I knew my height as I have already constructed the boxes across the bottom of the screen, and I have a story pole for that height. The width and thickness of the columns and plinth were determinded using a story board of two laid out 36"x 8' pieces of plywood, upon which I marked the exact size of the lower cabinet's footprint.

Attachments

• Gibbs 12-07 017.jpg
    Gibbs 12-07 017.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Shaz,

The scope and quality of your work never cease to amaze me.
Hi Rennie :wave:,
Thanks so much! Given the time, you too can be doing this same kind of thing.
Now where was I :huh:???
Oh yes, rather than strike the 56' radius, I just took a 16' 5/16"x 3/4" stick and bent it to the given measurements, traced the shape, on 1/8" birch and made a pattern on 1- 8' piece to be flipped over and reproduced for my length. I find it more accurate to create half a pattern, then create the whole pattern from that 1/2. It ends up being more symmetrical. Since I have a flat wall I laid out the cabinet widths as usual and then add the curve front were it was going to be on the footprint. I cut my walls to the correct angles in the front and and then added curved horizontal spacers in the front to attach my molding to and to maintain the correct size boxes. These spacers are all patterned off the the original layout.

Attachments

• Gibbs 12-07 025.jpg
    Gibbs 12-07 025.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Gibbs 12-07 026.jpg
    Gibbs 12-07 026.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 2 end pieces tat have the columns.jpg
    2 end pieces tat have the columns.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Oh, BTW.... Are those some bamboo strips I spy in the back in pic #2? :huh:
Hi Greg :wave:,
Matter of fact they are. They are left overs from a job I did at a high dollar restaurant called Surfers Paradise. That was a story or two to be told. Waterfalls coming through on site fabricated stone look alike faces, 26' high banyon tree, a one piece canvas about 20'x 50' already painted , Hawaiian sunset, then rolled on a wall as one sheet of wallpaper,:eek: hawaiian trellis with flowers and 2 thatched roof huts in side the place, with bamboo all around. It was like a small scale Las Vegas build out, or so I would guess.
The bamboo came cut in half round or full stalk.
You have a keen eye! Greg,,,,,
"Are you an Assassin?" :rofl:............movie line from seinfeld :rolleyes:
Shaz:)

looking good so far, i enjoy seeing others methods of how they work. you can always learn something new.

shaz, what does the sort of long note say on the bandsaw?

chris

looking good so far, i enjoy seeing others methods of how they work. you can always learn something new.

shaz, what does the sort of long note say on the bandsaw?

chris
Hi Chris :wave:
Thanks Chris.
My take is the same on seeing other methods of work. I have learned so much from others. I think my first eye opener was with Fine Woodworking Magazine back in the late 70's or early 80's, "methods of work" and "Tools and tips" as I recall.
The note on the bandsaw is the jobs list, put off till after Christmas, but it seems the best place to reminded me there is work after the theater for repeat clients I wish not offend by forgetting.
Thanks for checking in:).
Shaz

Under the screen, How many boxes do you think I chose to make and where do you think it would be good to join them up? Mind you these go on the third floor and have to get primed plus one coat on before they go up so I have to be able to break them down and reassemble. They will be complete just needing to be attached to each other and the wall, remember we want as few joints as possible, in the least visible places, and boxes as large as we can carry.
elavation and footprint.jpg
Today there are a few structural pieces to put in then starting to cut 2 5/16" for stile and rails. The doors will have a 1/4" bead run around the inside edge of the stiles. How would you do that?
PS, I have a plan :eek:..................... :rofl:

Under the screen, How many boxes do you think I chose to make and where do you think it would be good to join them up? I would think the most logical place to break the cabinets is behind the columns, which would leave you three sections. Mind you these go on the third floor and have to get primed plus one coat on before they go up so I have to be able to break them down and reassemble. They will be complete just needing to be attached to each other and the wall, remember we want as few joints as possible, in the least visible places, and boxes as large as we can carry.
View attachment 15414
Today there are a few structural pieces to put in then starting to cut 2 5/16" for stile and rails. The doors will have a 1/4" bead run around the inside edge of the stiles. How would you do that? Depends. Are the rails and stiles mitered If so use a beading bit in the router. Make stopped router cut if they are not mitered and finish with a scratch stock or chisels.
PS, I have a plan :eek:..................... :rofl:
So, what's your plan???:huh:

Thanks for the ride Shaz, I'm enjoying it so far!

shaz,

as for the # of boxes, right off i would think three, if i can read the dim right the mid section is 6' approx, and the sides are 5' approx, so the optimal choice would be to hide the seams behind the smaller columns, but if i know you then i'll be surprised at the way you were able to make the boxes smaller and still make it look good.

as for the bead on the door, if i understand what you mean, then you are saying you'd have a bead similiar to the ones on the sides of the smaller columns on the inside of the door. 3 ways that i know to accomplish this.

1. make the rails and stile and run the bead on the edge. miter the joints and make the doors like picture frame. in my opinion probably the toughest way to get it done and have a tight strong joint.

2. make the doors like regular rail and stile paneled doors, and make a separate bead to be mitered and attached with glue and pins.

3. run the bead on the rails and stiles like #1 but run the pieces like regular rail and stiles, then miter the bead section on the rails where it meets the stiles, then use a 45 degree chamfer bit with no bearing to route the bead off the section of the stile that mates with the rail. this is similiar to what i see done on some exterior doors.

hope half of that made some sense.

ok, so when do we get to hear how many cabs and how you're gonna do the doors??? huh huh huh

chris