Carved Lidded Bowl

I teach a carving course at the local Woodcraft and my next session is to teach how to carve a simple flower. Most of my students have been furniture people but there's a limited number of furnture people who want to learn carving - so for this class I decided to try to appeal to the turners since there's so many of them around here.

To do so, I carved the lidded bowl shown in the pictures below. I'm actually not much of a turner - mostly I turn furniture parts like legs but have done a few bowls. The bowl is poplar (cheap - I couldn't afford fine wood). I put an inlay on the bowl to hide one of the glue joints. The only problem with the inlay is getting it to match up. I did that by cutting the groove for the inlay deeper until the inlay matched then took the bowl down to the level of the inaly.

I'll put the bowl in the store with a flyer and see if I can attract a few turners to this session (Saturday, Jan 26, 9am to 4pm, at Woodcraft Stanton - $75 and limited to 6 students - in case anyone's interested!)

Mike

Attachments

• Flower-carving-004small.jpg
    Flower-carving-004small.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 104
  • Flower-carving-002small.jpg
    Flower-carving-002small.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 91
That looks beautiful. Mike. If I'm not busier than a rubber nose salesman at a clown convention that weekend, I'd like to try getting down to OC just to say hi.

I think your choice of samples (and the reasons for it...trying to attract turners) are great. Best of luck on the class.

Hey Mike, that is really a beauty! :thumb:

I'd be on that class like white on rice if I lived closer.

Hope you fill it and have a great time.

Cheers!

That is truly awesome, Mike.:thumb:
I'm way too far from you to take the class. Are you sure you wouldn't like to come to Alberta and teach the class here instead? I know a few guys who would be interested.
And it's barely below the freezing mark right now. Now how can you turn that down?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Mike, I'm impressed. What a beautiful carving decoration, if I was able to grab it from the screen, for sure I would do that.
Thanks for posting this gorgeous piece of work. :thumb:

Hey Mike, one of my daughters said, after admiring your wonderful box, that the place mat the box is sitting on certainly looks Japanese in nature, the cloth and the design. :wave:

Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

Vaughn - I hope you do get a chance to stop by. I'd enjoy meeting you.

Gord - Look at it this way - it's a good excuse for you to get out of the cold and come to sunny southern California.:)

Stuart - I don't remember for sure but those place mats could have been purchased in Japan. Long story.

Frank - Yes, the carving is based on the dogwood flower. But carving is like art - you don't try to do a photographic image but to capture the esssential elements.

Thanks again for your encouragement. I'm off to deliver it.

Mike

Hi Mike :wave:,
Thanks fo sharing that marvelous piece. Great thought to it and done with others in mind. :thumb: As you can tell from the mouth of real woodsmen here, you have struck a cord!
Shaz:)