Glass coffee table - finished

Niki Avrahami

In Memoriam
Good day

Yesterday, I posted the WIP of the glass table and today...the finished one...

But first, I would like to show you the original table that I made some 10 years ago in Japan

Coffeetablesmall.jpg

After we moved to Israel "we" decided to strip it off and stain it...

CTS11.jpg

Two drawers, one from each side...

CTS22.jpg

A look under the table...you can see the bolts that are holding the top

CTS33.jpg

Another view without the drawers

CTS44.jpg

The original table is made of Lauan but the new top is made of oak.....
The base inside the frame is 1/4" plywood, on top, white cardboard...dried flowers and 1/4" glass.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Regards
niki

Niki,
Interesting 'evolution' of the original table. The new glass-insert top looks really good.

Where's the carved chair next to the table from? It looks like some of the carving work I saw in New Delhi many years ago.

Thank you Jim

The chair and the mask on the wall are a present from the son from his visit in Africa....
Hand made........I cannot make it even with machines...:eek:

Regards
niki

I like the glass top idea, Niki. Is it relatively easy to open up and put different arrangements under the glass? I could see this being a neat "seasonal change" thing.

Thank you Vaughn

Oh yes, it's very easy...the glass is just "sitting" inside the frame (if you'll have a look on the WIP pics, you'll see that I made simple rabbet and the plywood, cardboard and glass are sitting on this rabbet) just a push from below and the glass comes out

You don't have to go, here is the pic

Regards
niki

031.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful work Niki, really like style. Have wanted to build glass top tables myself for a while now, but unfortunately they wouldn't have survived my teenagers, maybe in another year or two. :dunno:

Thank you Darren

You are correct...I learnt that you make glass tables only after the kids are leaving the home:)

Regards
niki